MBP runs hot.. question about fan control

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crash1234, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Crash1234 macrumors regular

My temp levels seem to get a bit high during gaming on my new MBP. I am unsure if these temps are too high or could potentially be harmful to my computer.. so if anyone knows anything it would be helpful. I also downloaded this smc fan control that I read about somewhere on this site but it didn't open for some reason so I'm unable to use it. So my questions concerns are, if my temps are too high, and why that program won't open/what I could be doing wrong. Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world of mac ... they run hot. Honestly its not much to worry about.

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

+1,000

If Apple thinks the chip is fine with these heat levels, then there isn't a problem.

Apple doesn't want a bunch of their babies going bad because it would cost them a lot of money having to replace everyones laptop.

I think Apple knows what they are doing.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Just don't game with it actually on your lap.

Also, don't put it on a pillow. That's not its favorite place to be.

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

just what others have said above
    don't block the fans, and don't worry about temps, sure it will get hot but that what it was designed for, to work and get hot, not just check emails

also, try smc Fan control, google it and decide if it's something you would like to try.

6. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's responses. Also, I did try smc fan control as I mentioned in my first post, but for some reason after it was downloaded, I clicked on the app within my finder and the program would not open. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it didn't seem to want to work. Anyone know why this might be?

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Probably your model is not supported.

Also, don't worry about those temps. Modern computers run hot, Mac or not. (unless they have a huge-ass heat sink and loud-as-vacuum_cleaner fan)

8. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

My computer is the brand new unibody mbp.. so I'm assuming it should be supported..

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats why it could be unsupported yet ;)

Why didn't you read the read me before installing?

10. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... never read those. My mistake. But thanks for your response, just what I needed to know.

11. allanibanez macrumors regular

I installed smcFanControl to cool down my mac, not because i was worried about it melting, but because it just got a little toasty on my knee. I found that when the cpu got to about 80 degrees, turning both fans up to 2500 knocked it down but up to 20 degrees and with no real extra noise.

SMC is a great tool, i reccommend it to everyone.

12. allanibanez macrumors regular

smc 1 is unsupported for the new MBP and fails to work. smc 2 again is unsupported but works just fine, so just go for version 2.

13. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

So smc 2 SHOULD work on my mbp? It doesn't. cries.

14. shiato storm macrumors member

it wont be in the apps list, its in the settings panel...

15. Crash1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I"m dense (entirely possible) but I don't see it in the settings panel. The only way for me to even find it is if I open a finder window and search for it...

16. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Those temps are actually quite find considering that you were involved in gaming when u recorded them.

U can use SMC fan control if u wish of course, but I'm not sure what it will do other than lower the temps a bit, but considering that Apple has set them thing up to run within certain parameters, whatever reduction you see will probably only be satisfying your desire to see a lower operating temp rather than doing anything worthwhile to the system.