MBP runs very hot when in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgrl, Mar 28, 2011.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

I have a late 2008 mbp and have started to use it with an external monitor

I have it upright on its side in a stand hinge down so the bottom is not covered but it runs very hot even when not running anything heavy duty. The fans are on most of the time

I have opened it a bit to try to see if that helps.

Is this normal? Any tips so that I don't cook it?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The air intake on your system is through the keyboard. So, if you close the lid you dramatically reduce the air going in to cool the system. Also, when you connect your external monitor is the discrete video card getting activated? If so, that will increase temperatures a bit too.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

install istat pro to keep an eye on your temperature.
    MBP may run a little hotter when closed but because they vent through the hinge it should not make much too difference.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

No, No, No.
    MBP does not in any way vent through the keyboard. (Unibody Models)
    At all.

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much for the your replies.

I have noticed that it is now running cooler having opened it a bit, inch or so.

Didn't know that it cooler via the keyboard so thanks for that.

I am going to install istat now. Thank you

6. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

This is correct. However, the unibody MacBooks do use the aluminum surface of the body as a heatsink, and closing the lid will reduce the amount of heat that can dissipate into the air from underneath the keyboard (especially around the area between the function keys and the vent/hinge).

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Agreed.
    This is usually why you get a slightly higher temp in clamshell but the difference should be marginal.
    The base of the MBP gets way hotter than the top.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

False. There is a solid sheet under the keyboard preventing any meaningful airflow. The fans and intake and exhaust vents are located at the rear of the MBP, near the hinge.
    Completely correct, and not just for unibody models. All models vent as I described above.

9. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem that i have now is that because the mbp is not in clamshell mode as it is slightly open, the dock doesn't appear on the external monitor and the mouse arrow keeps going off the screen. Is there a way to turn off mbp display / just have external as display when not in clamshell.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know what stand you're using, but is there any way to mount it with the hinge up? Warm air rises, so if the hinge is down, the hot air being vented can rise up on the MBP, increasing the temp. Having the MBP flat or the hinge anywhere but the bottom might help. Also, make sure nothing is blocking the airflow around the hinge area. Then you should be able to operate in true clamshell mode.

11. macgrl, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Having the hinge down is no problem at all. I will try that and see how the heat situation is . Thank you very much:)