MBP Safari Running Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ExiledMafia, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Hello Macrumors Community,

So I've had my MBP 13" since about october, loving it up until just about now. SO about three days ago my computer was running smooth, but then I tried to watch a show online (through a less than reputable website) and now safari is running really slow. I mean I'm beach balling when opening up new pages, it I go to another application on another screen things start to slow down, and from power up to login screen takes a lot longer than normal. Unfortunately I do not have a backup from before this started happening so I'm afraid if I do a clean swipe then backup the problem will still be here. I feel like after the initial start up things work but then randomly is starts acting up again also....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. btw I have 145gb free on HD and very few applications installed. Memory is at 881MB wired, 667MB active, 137MB inactive, and 2.35GB free at the moments.

Thanks again

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ExiledMafia, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Tried resetting safari, no improvement....I'll try those other tips and see what happens. I'm concerned at the added time to boot up and I'm afraid I got some sort of maleware, virus or tracking thing from that streaming site I was using...

Also I just did all the tips and the only thing I had to do was turn on my firewall....which was off for some reason. Having this off scares me, so again I ask could this be maleware or something similar?

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It sucks that we now have to do more maintenance to make a Mac run efficiently than before. Leopard and SL I never had to do any of this crap until getting Lion. What sucks even more is now that I constantly recommend Apple products to clients they ask me a hundred questions because the average user wouldn't know about sites like this and the steps to take to fix something. What happened to the User friendly product... sigh. sorry ranting.

5. GGJstudios, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not malware (or male wear!) Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    On the contrary, you don't need to do any maintenance to make a Mac run efficiently. What are you referring to?

6. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Damn autocorrect usually love it, but in this case it sucks haha. Alright well I know enough to not download stuff like that I've had a PC for my whole life with no viruses so I do consider myself compute literate. I was just worried cause they happened very suddenly, anyways I just installed the new update from a couple weeks ago so we will see if that helps anything.

Also I tried setting my picture for my login screen as something from my recent pictures and it keeps resetting it to the default any hints or tips on that. Thanks again GGJ I can easily say that there is not a single member on this forum who has used your great wisdom in some way or another.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help (latter part of thread): Change your login screen background in Lion!

8. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I just seems with my clients I'm having to repair permissions and it was something that never before needed to be done and this is something I wouldn't expect them to know since all they do is use e-mail and word since that's all they know. With Lion as well all youtube is completely slow when you go above 480p and browsing on any browser is slow for them until I run repair permissions or clear all cache. Just sucks that macs need more work.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Repairing permissions has nothing to do with slow performance of videos on Safari. For Flash issues:
    They really don't. The majority of problems people have stem from user or 3rd party app issues, not Mac OS X. While OS X isn't flawless, it maintains itself quite well, without interference from the user.

10. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

I have another questions, say I back up my computer and then do a clean wipe. If I run a back up will my computer be just as slow again? If so I can just basically back up my files my self, mainly itunes and some miscellaneous documents, then clean swipe and put everything back on again myself and everything should be fine correct?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it will be fine, but it's really not necessary. You didn't go into detail about the results of the performance tips I posted in post #2 of this thread.

Did you find and remove anything in #1-4?
    What did you find in #5-6?
    How much do you have in #12?

12. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

From #1-4 I removed iTunes Helper which probably should've have stayed and left caffeine there.

In #5-6 Nothing alarming just as I expected nothing taking up a ton

#12 I havent added or taken away any fronts from the original default fonts

13. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I don't even bother using Safari on my Mac's as I've had the same exact issues. From being slow to beach balling even after using disk permissions and restoring as new etc, give it a few days and then it starts acting up again. I use Chrome, not only way faster, but no issues with it on any of my Mac's.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about page outs?
    #12 isn't fonts. It's free space.

Also, what Safari plug-ins or extensions are you running? What ad-blockers?

Also check your DNS settings by reading: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

15. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I'll have to check those when I get access to my computer...in about 6 hours

16. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so page outs seem normal, used 1.5 GB and free 2.5 GB. No safari plug-ins or extensions either. On the plus side my computer seems to be running back to normal now we all see how this changes in the upcoming days.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So page outs are zero? Also, the free space I was referring to in #12 is your hard drive's free space, not your RAM. To quote:

18. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

HD drive space I have 170 GB used and 150 GB free. Page outs is zero and there is nothing for startup items and only glimmer blocker for startup agents

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cool. Let us know if performance drops again.

20. ExiledMafia thread starter macrumors regular

Will do...I think resetting safari, the software update, and stopping iTunes Helper on start up (it had a warning triangle next to it for some reason) had the biggest impact.

21. tarponbeach macrumors member

Why not give Chrome a try. Runs really well on my MacBook, and it is very fast.

22. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This recently just happened to me. It was extremely frustrating. I thought it was because I had several apps open in addition to parallels. I kept using MemoryFreer, but it didn't help, neither did closing apps or Parallels. Browsing, scrolling, typing was extremely sluggish in Safari. I tried all the remedies and nothing worked. I've always had Chrome, so I gave it a try this time and the difference night and day. I've always used Chrome for sites that didn't work on Safari but opted for Safari since it was the "default" browser. Anyway, I'll be using Chrome from now on and I've pretty much customized it aesthetically to look like Safari so it won't be too much of a change and got several cool add-ons.