MBP-safe to use in the car?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikes70mustang, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I know that alot of people use their macs in cars. But ive been searching around and as usual, cant find straight froward answer. I assume its safe to use. But its not recommended to pick up and move while on, so how is it safe to use in a car thats constantly moving? Please direct me to another thread if this has been posted before.

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

As long as you're not the driver, it'll be fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depends. Are you the driver or a passenger?
    Driver: Definitely NOT safe!
    Passenger: As long as the MBP doesn't get banged around on a rough road, no problem. It would be a bad time to have a glossy screen, though!

4. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i just figured the SMS would mess up and do bad things. And no, not driving, thatd be illegal. Id be using my dads HTC sprint for internet, prob DVD. But on the other hand, il prob just use my old Dell inspiron 6000. Long as its booted up by the time i get to my destination. Im not going on a trip soon, i would just like to know for the future.

5. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

My ex used her MPB in the car for hours at a time (with a verizon express card) and never had any problems.

I used to dream of running the car into something hard enough to trigger the airbag on her side just to watch the mac bounce off her head -- but, like I said, she's my ex.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No problem in cars.

I often take PDF of directions, and screenshots of maps if I am traveling.

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'd say it's all right. I used mine (Late 2008) in the car going back to college watching movies off my HD. I had some problems with the SMS protecting my HD when we would hit a rough patch and it would mess up the movie. That's about it.

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I don't think there will be any problem, you just might want an SSD. When I watch movies in the car, they kinda freeze on bumps and stuff because the HDD pauses to not cause any damage, and as far as I'm aware, SSDs don't have this problem.

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If you're going to be hitting the HDD constantly, a SSD would be nice, but they are expensive. You could play media off of a flash device or such.

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

also make sure you have a good power source if you are using it plugged. you don't want to have lethal a surge into you $1,500+ laptop

11. nuccadoc macrumors member

driving with glossy

My wife just used my 17 UMBP for a 5 hour trip in the day with the glossy screen and her comments afterward were "I am in love with your computer, I want it!" Dangerous words! I have found that the glossy does better than my previous 17 mbp with matte display, maybe it's the LED, don't know, but it was a pleasure to work with in the car.

12. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Dude, id love to have an SSD. But id have no less hd space than what i have now. Id really like a 500gb ssd, but who knows when a reliable one of those will come out

13. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Speaking of high capacity SSDs...

14. ayasin macrumors 6502

I've always been concerned about airbag deployments with a laptop screen open (bye bye hands). Might be an unreasonable fear...who knows.