MBP, safe to use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I notice a couple of times I was warned not to use a Mac this month alone. I also have a presentation coming up and I was warned again not to use a Mac because problems may occur. ( it's a very important presentation, I won't risk running into any problems )

My new MBP should replace this Windows laptop in 2 weeks time, but can it really in a Windows world? :confused:

I have an other question, if I do my work in bootcamp running Windows, I suppose I won't have compatibility issues to avoid this Mac problem?

2. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Is there more to this fear than you're letting on? Why would it not be "safe" to use?

Technical issues can happen with any machine, not just Macs, and Macs are no more prone to problems than PCs. In fact, there are times my Mac has saved a critical demo where my Dell failed to cooperate.

3. Blair230 macrumors regular

Can you please elaborate? Where did you see this warning? Was it the computer telling you this? The internet? Friends? Relatives? Windows fanboys? Voices from another dimension? :eek:

In all seriousness please expand on your problem. But if the computer is working why wouldn't you use it?

4. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

For example, couple of weeks ago I went to a copyshop to make hardcopies of an article. I was asked if I used a Mac because they have had alot of problems if it was made on a Mac.

An other example is this presentation, I was told that they have bad experiences with Macs and beamers in the past, and that it would be best not to bring a MBP but just a Windows laptop to avoid any problems.

5. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I just set my wife up with a Blackbook for a seminar she was doing and everything worked without one single problem. Just make you sure you have the VGA Adapter from Apple to connect to the projector.

6. squawk7600 macrumors member

7. advres Guest

advres

8. advres Guest

advres

I have used macs strictly for about 11 years. I have never once ran into a problem with compatibility that wasn't easily solved. These people you talk to sound like morons.

9. Demthios macrumors member

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

By beamer, do you mean projector? Not that i've EVER heard it called this, but that was my logical guess.

I am an A/V professional by trade. And I've found that most modern Macs set themselves up with projectors easier and quicker than PCs do, provided you have and bring your minidisplay port to VGA adapter. If you don't have that, most meeting spaces will NOT have one to provide you. That's where problems can occur.

The only Mac issues I've encountered are getting them onto Webex and things like that. This was back before I had a mac of my own, so maybe I'd be able to sort it out now, but who knows.

Don't let people scare you. Macs are safe! lol.

11. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

A beamer is known as a BMW here in the UK :D

12. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

Beamer is a BMW Motorcycle, and a Bimmer is a BMW car around here. At least to those pedantic enough to care.

13. advres Guest

advres

I know a beamer is a car but obviously not so in his sentence. Projectors as mentioned above make more sense.

And as stated above, the only times connectivity is an issue with projectors is when you don't have the proper cord/adapters available. And they are all standard, so keep them in your bag if you will be plugging into a lot of projectors.