mbp safety

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairjamesh, Feb 12, 2011.

1. blairjamesh macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new to the forum and new to owning an Apple computer in a couple days. I've used many on a college campus before. Anyway, just wondering if I need to do any safety procedures when I set up my macbook, and also wondering what programs I should avoid using for safety reasons, for example is bittorent safe to use ? Thanks.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

As far as physical protection, I use the Speck (clear) hardshell case, with an Incase slipcase. Since you're at college, you might want to consider Lojack, in case it gets stolen.

As to bittorrent, beyond the legal, ethical and moral implications, downloading anything via torrents is begging for trouble.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're on a college campus, don't do anything like torrenting or other sorts of questionable downloading. They'll be all over you pretty quick.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help:

5. blairjamesh thread starter macrumors newbie

I've actually graduated now but am still hesitant of downloading torrents and probably won't - I've just seen a few people on here talk about using it so I wasn't sure.

As for the speck cases, I've heard that it insulates the laptop and can trap heat, but I also want to protect it. Has anyone with speck cases had overheating issues?

6. e5volcano macrumors regular

are there any security cables to use to tie your laptop to a desk or something for college students?

7. Vurius macrumors newbie

As long as you aren't an idiot about it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using bittorrent on your Mac. Of course, I would never recommend downloading anything illegal, but as long as you know your sources you should be pretty safe. Bittorrent is really the best way to download your favorite Linux distro. :D

8. mbmobile macrumors member

Why LoJack? Has anybody tried Prey? Looks it does everything LoJack do but is free.

Any experience?

MB