MBP Sandy Bridge Graphics concern

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Oct 25, 2010.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I have been watching videos, reading tech news and articles from many places. SB integrated graphics look to be on par with low end discrete cards.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...oduction_of_Sandy_Bridge_Microprocessors.html

In short, from all that I have read it seems like the sb gpu will still lag behind the 320m for example. And going back to that article of the sb integrated being comparable to some discrete, do users think Apple will make a major dumb move and not include two gpu/ upgrade the current discrete gpu to a better one based upon SB inegrated.

& SB will be offered as a dual core and quad core- will the mbp likely have this for the high end 15" & 17"

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's a tradeoff. You gain a nice amount of CPU power but lose some GPU power. Otherwise the option seems to be C2D + NVidia IGP, so that would mean no gain in CPU and minor gain in GPU. At least I would like to get more CPU power.

Besides, the benchmarks of SB's IGP were done with 6 EU unit without Turbo (hopefully, not 100% sure, could have been 12 EU unit) and with beta drivers. All mobile SBs (at least normal voltage) will feature 12 EUs and Turbo of up to 1300MHz (the IGP ran at 850MHz in that test IIRC).

Also, if Apple is going to remove the optical drive, there would be enough space for discrete GPU. There are plenty of option so very hard to say what will happen

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

It's very unlikely that we'll see quad core MBP's with Sandy Bridge. The current 2.8GHz i7 has a TDP of 35W and the lowest end SB quad core has a TDP of 45W.