MBP Sandybridge Win7 bootcamp help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hastyle, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hastyle, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys, got a macbook pro i7 sandybridge today, and need to install win7 x64 on it. So i ran bootcamp partition the drive as followed.

80 Mac OS X
    420 bootcamp drive

Once in win7 setup menu, i deleted the bootcamp drive, partition a separate 120gb drive and installed win7 on it. so now my drive looks like the following.

80 Mac OS X
    120 Win7
    300 unallocated ( for personal data use)

So now im in win7 in the Disk Manager, i tried creating a ntfs volume with the left over space. as i finish some message pop up but i was also watching football lol and clicked ok. Now my mac osx drive is gone, along with the restore drive that apple has conventionally placed on the drive but not in a dvd. Im not sure what happen here, why creating that volume formatted my mac osx drives? As of right now i have to go back to the apple store and have them restore my mbp for me. Is it not possible to get 3 partitions ??

thanks.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The 3 partition thing is possible ( I believe ) but really tricky and you have to really know what you are doing.

Go thru the bootcamp user guide really carefully and follow the instructions. Probably turn the tv off and pay some attention.

You cannot get creative doing this until you get thru the basics!

First thing out of the apple store you need to make yourself a usb flash drive so that you can re-install yourself ( Recovery Disk Assistant )!

Have fun!