MBP Santa Rosa + 30"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brutusvimes, Jun 27, 2007.

1. brutusvimes macrumors member

Does anyone here have any experience with the latest MBP's (8600 vid card) and the 30" Cinema Display? Will it run smoothly? If you do have this set-up, please let me know whether you have have the 128mb or 256mb version. Thanks!

2. L3X macrumors 6502a

That should work fine. I haven't had the experience, but according to Apple, there shouldn't be any problems.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/graphics.html

3. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

When the time comes that we're watching HD video (perhaps from the iTunes store) on a 23/24/30 ACD will the graphics card make a difference? Even if it isn't HD from a DVD or download we'll certainly have HD camcorders. Will footage (iMovie/iDVD/FCE) play on the 30" without stuttering etc? Would 256 make a difference? I'll pay the $500 if it does.

That's a lot of questions - thanks in advance.

4. L3X macrumors 6502a

HD footage from itunes store - hmm, interesting question, my guess is 256 might make a difference

from what i've read, 256 only makes a difference when doing 3D graphics.

think about the $500 though, you're not ONLY getting a better video card but a little bit bigger hard drive and a little faster processor. So, don't think of it just in terms of the video card.

If you want to set yourself up nicely for HD content, i'd go with the 17" hi-res MBP.

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I use the 17" SR MBP & the 30". They work great together...

6. TilJ macrumors member

I'm using a 15.4" MBP (256 VRAM version) with a 30" ACD and it works great. WoW is intensely fun like this :D

7. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

I guess I'll look at the $500 as an insurance premium. If I don't spend it and later get stutters on HD content I'll go nuts. If I do spend it and get the stutters I'll still go nuts but not at myself.

If buying today I'd get the 256 model + the 23" ACD. Apple has 5 weeks to update the ACD product line before my state sales tax holiday when the credit card will go to work. (In the grand scheme of things the tax isn't much money but it's making my wife get on board with the notion that we should get the new machine instead of waiting another 2-4-6 months.)