MBP Santa Rosa Overheating & Bad Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jw nyc, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I have had my MBP for about a year and a half. Everything was working perfectly until last night. I woke up and my computer was overheating and smc fan control was reading 80 degrees and 6000rpm for my fans!! I tried shutting it down for a few hours and turned it back on. Same issue and no matter what I do the computer stays b/w 75-80 degrees faranheight. I unplugged the computer and the battery was is only lasting for 20 minutes before shutting down!! Before last night the battery lasted for about 3 hours! I'm not sure what happened last night but now I'm having these major issues with my machine. Any ideas what could have happened and how I could fix it!? Thanks.

2. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. azharc macrumors member

Umm... not too sure, could you check if any rogue processes are driving your CPU insane?

Try uninstalling SMC Fan Control?

Call Apple?

Some people here suggest doing this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 in troubled times but I personally don't have much experience regarding resetting PRAM.

Sorry, wait for someone else to come along :)

EDIT : Hold on, did you say 75-80F? That's 23C! That's cold =\ What the... I've never seen an MBP that cold at room temperature. If it's celcius, it's a bit over normal range...

4. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha sorry I meant Celcius! Yea its only a little over normal but it gets and stays that hot upon bootup. There is def something wrong.