MBP sata connector query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Fish, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mr Fish macrumors newbie

Hi all

Hoping someone can help me. I've been a bit of a muppet today. ;-(

I bought a new Seagate sata hard drive to upgrade my Macbook Pro 15" late 2007 model. I dually opened up the laptop this morning to swap them. Everything was going well until as I was disconnecting the drive from the sata connector, I managed to slightly rip the copper (?) connection that goes from the sata connector to the motherboard.

I feel pretty stupid and annoyed with myself, but now I need to find a replacement.

My question is, is this whole connection a standard? There are no apple stores here (Ireland). I don't know what the cable is called exactly, though it has MYLAR printed on it. I feel inclined to believe that this is not a standard part, universal, and something I'll have to get from Apple ... but I hope I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Anyone know?

Thanks a million.

Paul

God I'm stupid.

2. Mr Fish thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorted-ish

I'll just tie this post up - yes indeed this is a very specific Apple part, and apparently not something I could even cannibalize an old iBook for. Found the part number eventually after trawling google for a while and then found a variety of American sights offering to charge me between $36 inc postage to $90 inc postage to help me out.

So I'm sorted, at least once it arrives. I've learned a good lesson.

I've also posted on Macrumors for the first time after reading for a couple of years and have immediately exposed myself as a twit.

And you don't want _me_ exposing myself.

Cheers