MBP saves copies every time I click on a file...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BRohde, May 18, 2009.

1. BRohde macrumors newbie

I haven't used Apple products in almost 20 years (since high school). My company uses PC, but the owner has switched to Mac, and has requested my assistance....most of the tasks he wanted accomplished I have been able to figure out, however, every time he clicks on a file, (picture, video, download, etc) it saves a copy of it...if he opens a file 5 times, it saves it 5 times. Is this something that can be fixed in "preferences", or is it a characteristic of Mac? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

4. BRohde thread starter macrumors newbie

His documents folder.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

This is bizarre.

I would have guessed it's something in the direction of atomic saves ...
    (TextMate http://manual.macromates.com/en/saving_files.html)
    ... but it shouldn't happen just by clicking on a file.

Does he recall when it started happening? e.g. after a firmware upgrade?

6. BRohde thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly don't know when it started happening, although he only mentioned it recently, if it had been going on for awhile, I believe he would have said something long before now.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

The 10.5.7 update just came out a short while ago, could it have coincided with its release? It's a shot in the dark, but alas. Try and get more information off him, I've never heard of this before, and sifting through forums looking for similar incidents hasn't been successful yet either.

Ask him if he's recently installed any software that could be responsible for this, because that's what it looks like to me - a feature of some program that one's supposed to have switched off after use, but somehow it's been left running. If you haven't already, check the computer for any software / plugins that could be causing this.

8. BRohde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! I agree, sifting through forums and websites hasn't garnered anything useful for me either, I have been searching for days. I will do some more investigation when he gets back into town.

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Or even easier - after a restart check the running applications for anything 'dodgy'. If it's happening right after a restart it's got to be something that starts up automatically, if what's causing a problem is really a program of some kind.

Though judging by the time you mentioned you've already invested in the resolution of this problem and to no avail, it might be worth it or even quicker to re-install the OS, even if this means never finding out what caused the problem. I have to admit, I'm very curious by now.