MBP says it's charged... But not fully..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laughingperson5, Feb 22, 2010.

1. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

So hey guys!

Basically. I have my 15" saying that it is charged with the MagSafe light green. Although, the battery percentage is 96%. Ehh.. Is it supposed to be like that?

Like, not charge if it has only a little bit left to charge? Or is something wrong with my battery or MagSafe?

If I have to do anything with AppleCare, laughingperson5 go crazy. -__-||

Help por favor.

2. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Calibrate

When is the last time (if ever) that you calibrated your battery? I recently had my early 2008 model MBP 15" start to do the very same thing you are describing. I realized I had not calibrated in awhile and after doing so all was back to 100% - literally and figuratively. This being said it was only about 2 weeks later my battery started to display "service battery". A call to Apple and some cycle count checks etc and I received my new replacement today (only called them last Friday and they said 7 days or so it came today - impressive) thanks to AppleCare.

In summary I'd suggest calibrating and keeping an eye out.

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), MacBook Pro (all models), MacBook Pro (17-inch) (all models) and MacBook Air

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
    3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
    4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Above direct quote from Apple's site they break all models down for calibration nice and easy here for reference.

** Side Note ** Shocked how much cooler my good ol' 15" 8600 MBP runs with this battery. My original that I just replaced was one of the hot Sony battery's no longer made!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Any value between 95 and 100% is considered charged. After fully charging the battery, it will slowly drain itself to 95% before it starts to charge again. It's a way for the battery to "keep it's condition" for those who like to keep it attached to an outlet. There is no need for worry or even calibrate your battery - there's nothing wrong with it.