Mbp -> Scart?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'd like to connect my MBP up to my TV, which is relatively old, so just has a SCART input.

Is it possible to buy a DVI-SCART cable, and if so, should I expect full DVD quality to be output from my MBP (iTunes movie rentals/media mainly) to my TV?

Thanks!

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hi,

What you need is a DVI to composite cable, and then a SCART adaptor that accepts the composite cable, I will be back in a minute with the links.

EDIT:

OK, you will need the following:

DVI - s-video adaptor

S-video to composite cable

Composite to SCART

I used to do this with my mini and it worked great. The picture quality is pretty good, can't remember if it is DVD quality but i won't be far off.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

I've actually got a composite SCART adaptor (SCART plug with 3 composite phono inputs on it, yellow red/white).

So I guess I need a DVI-D - composite video cable, AND a stereo minijack-L/R composite audio cable (as the DVI will only carry the graphics obviously)?

Will I get full DVD quality from iTunes?

EDIT: How about the official Apple one, with a Mini-DVI to DVI converter or something: http://www.shiroi.co.uk/apple-apple...ml?PHPSESSID=b88ddcafdba8344c6ccb35af17aac507

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

If you have a MacBook Pro then you will need the standard DVI to S-video as I linked above. The mini DVI is for MacBook and iMac only.

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome, thanks! It's just a cheaper option for me until I get a new telly and get an Apple TV!

So, the video/audio cable you linked to: I plug the minijack into my headphone port, and the S-video into the Apple adaptor; then the 2 composite audio and the composite video go into the SCART adaptor?

Did you find it nice and sharp/crisp quality for watching movies?

Thanks for your help :)

6. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Nice job Youden! The links are helpful, a friend of mine wanted to do something similar.

7. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Yup, got it in one.

The picture quality is good. I used to have a mini connected to my TV and I used to watch ripped DVDs that had been encoded / decoded through handbrake. Now I am not a visual expert but that system was good enough for me!

I can't imagine that you are a major vision guru, otherwise you would have the latest, all signing, all dancing HD TV.

Enjoy watching your TV through your laptop.

8. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Very true, audio is my thing, but I still have an eye for detail, and wouldn't want to watch anything too blocky/not smooth etc.

Thanks for your help :)