MBP screen bleed due to sandwich construction?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sir Cecil, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

My unibody 15" MBP has excessive light bleed, at the sides as well as the well-known "stage lights" effect at the bottom.
    I notice that, if I flex the lid ever so slightly, the bleed effect, particularly at the sides, either increases or reduces quite dramatically according to the pressure. The effect reverts to its original level of bleed when the lid is released.
    This leads me to believe that the problem is related to the screen being flexed by more than an ideal amount by the sandwich of lid and glass.
    This would mean it's a design/construction problem, rather than a screen QC issue.
    Opinions?

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

If that was so, I'm sure there would be a lot more people complaining about it. It's probably just quality control. In any case, I suggest taking it to Apple and having it repaired or swapped for a new machine. When did you purchase the machine?

3. Sir Cecil thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are many complaints about light bleed on the unibody, on this forum and others. I'm within the exchange period, but I've already exchanged it once with no improvement (actually the second one is slightly worse if anything) and in all other respects the MBP is fine. So I'm reluctant to change it again. On the other hand, if the issue gets resolved by Apple, I'd want to get it corrected in future.

4. Tranzaddict macrumors newbie

My 3 weeks old unibody 15" MBP has the infamous stage light bleed too. I am not too worry about it now as I dont see it in normal usage. I wanted to get it exchanged or replaced at first, but grew out of that thought after reading about the hassle many have went through and still getting the same problem on the replacement or even worse with dead pixels, so I am not going that route. I've also checked at the apple store, and every one of the 15" MBP they have on display have some form of light bleed. I asked the people at the store about the problem, and they dont acknowledge the issue as being a problem or defective. Basically, they are telling me to just live with it.

Seems like with the unibody 15" MBP, you either get very lucky and get a screen with very minimal bleed, or you can waste your time getting it exchanged numerous times untill you finally get one with minimal bleed. This is not acceptable, which company will require you to have luck or persistence just to get a working product from them? Apple really need to get their acts together.

I am on the same boat as you Sir Cecil, I am going to wait untill Apple resolves this inconsistency, and have my screen replaced in the future through applecare.

5. lordthistle macrumors 6502

6. Sir Cecil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Take a wild guess.

7. lordthistle macrumors 6502

No, please. Allow me to understand. I have obviously searched the internet but cannot understand the relation between what is commonly referred to as 's.c.' and the MBP screen.

thistle

8. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo