MBP Screen brightness after 10.5.2 and graphics upgrades

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hush, Mar 8, 2008.

1. hush macrumors member

Hi all,

I upgraded my MBP to 10.5.2 and installed the graphics upgrade. I didn't noticed much difference after installing (yeah, opaque menu bar, stacks,... but just that), not worst but either better.

But I did noticed something from that day... my screen brightness level has to be adjusted EVERYTIME I start the system, i.e. when I start MacOS the screen is automatically set to full brightness.

I tried to fix this with prefs panes but didn't work at all, even yesterday I reinstalled the upgrades...

I didn't find anything about this problem over the whole internet, is it just me?

Any clue?

Thanks in advace... cheers!

Antonio

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try resetting your PRAM which controls power management by pressing "command+option+P+R" on startup

3. hush thread starter macrumors member

I just tried resetting PRAM but nothing happened regarding my problem... I think now I am absolutly lost. To say the truth this problem is becoming a pain in the neck, I know that it's not a major issue, but... ya know...

Anyway thank you very much for your response.

Any other clue?

Thanks.

4. hush thread starter macrumors member

5. MichalM.Mac macrumors regular

MichalM.Mac

:)

Pay Apple 2 000 000 000 and they maybe fix that bug for you in notime ;)

6. hush thread starter macrumors member

But... is this a known bug or just a freaky behaviour of this f**cking evil machine? Will smashing the screen with a hammer help in any way?

30 :(

p.d.: hey all you guys, if you are waiting to give your responses for reward increases... I tell you, I am not offering much more than $100!!!

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just curious... did you hold "command-option-P-R" for two startup chimes where the second is significantly louder?

8. hush thread starter macrumors member

Yes indeed, although I did not notice any difference between first and second chime... is that important? After, I even tried a four chimes resetting...

The point is that I do not want to re-install the OS just because of this...

Thanks for your support :)

9. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I also have found Apple now use genlock, video at 50Hz now tears, Ugly!

Cannot set a horizontal frequency anymore for the built in screen. :(

10. KT322 macrumors newbie

Exact same thing happens to my C2D SR MBP (mid-2007 2.4 GHz). The MBP always boots with screen brightness set to max. No luck with resetting PRAM or SMU. It seems as though the MBP isn't storing my "set" brightness level in PRAM.

My workaround involves invoking the IODisplaySetFloatParameter routine during startup.

Inside the zip file there are 3 files: display-brightness (executable), display-brightness.c (source), com.osxbook.display-brightness.plist (startup configuration file).

Place display-brightness in /usr/local/sbin:

if /usr/local/sbin doesn't exist:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/sbin
    Code:
    sudo cp [I]path-containing-unzipped-files[/I]/display-brightness /usr/local/sbin/
    Edit com.osxbook.display-brightness.plist to specify desired brightness level (0.0 - 1.0). I have it set to 0.75 = 12 bars (max = 16 bars = 1.0, half = 8 bars = 0.5).

Place com.osxbook.display-brightness.plist in /Library/LaunchAgents:

Code:
    sudo cp [I]path-containing-unzipped-files[/I]/com.osxbook.display-brightness.plist /Library/LaunchAgents/
    Restart MBP. Note: it takes effect towards the tail end of the startup process.

You'll know when (if) this problem is eventually fixed by Apple if the MBP screen isn't at max brightness at the beginning of the boot process.

Kiran

Attached Files:

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is interesting; I often find that my MBP's brightness keeps *decreasing* to about 75%. I wonder whether it's the same root cause.

12. hush thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for such a nice idea! :)

I will try to implement it in my MPB.

Best regards,
    Antonio.

13. KT322 macrumors newbie

Update: This issue was resolved with the MBP31.0070.B07 firmware update.