MBP screen brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4now, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 4now macrumors regular

I've noticed this for a while

I have a MBP SR 2.2 and under dim room lighting conditions the brightness of the screen waves in and out.

It usually happens when typing emails when a lot of the screen is white

is this normal?

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

It depends. How is the lighting in the room you're in? I ask because of the ambient light sensors which automatically adjust the display brightness when a change in light happens. The sensors are located around the speakers, so if your hand creates a shadow there it will dim the screen and brighten it when you move your hand.

Make sure "automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" is unchecked in the system preferences under "display".

3. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

I've noticed this in a few room
    not sure that the lighting in the room is changing
    but maybe its caused by my hands moving while they're typing

setting is now unchecked - thanks for that
    I'll see how it goes

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The ambient light sensors are somewhere on the surface with the keyboard, I believe under the grills on the sides of the key board. So when it's set to automatically adjust screen brightness, if your hand rests over one light sensor for a second it'll dim the screen. If your hands block the light going to both sensors on each side then the screen will dim even more.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You can fix this by going to Displays under System Prefs. There is a box for the ambient light sensor.