MBP screen comparison with Lenovo W500

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ftbps macrumors member

Hello All,

I own a late 2008 unibody MBP and I love it (15"). The screen quality is just too great. The brightness is awesome. I believe it is an LG screen.

My wife wants to buy Lenovo W500 with WSXGA+ screen. The review I have been seeing say that the screen is good but the brightness is not that great. Can someone please tell me if anyone has physically compared lenovo WSXHA+ screens with MBP?

I have not found any other windows laptop that has as good screen as my mbp. Can some one help, because i do not want anything less in quality. Your comments will be appreciated. Any photos will be even better.
    Thanks,
    Bipin

2. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

please someone help.

Thanks,
    Bipin

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I remember reading an blog article about a guy who compared the 15", 17" MBPs and the Lenovo W500. In the pictures, the W500 looked very dim compared to the MBPs. I think the W500 screen is a tiny bit better in color gamut testing, but it's unnoticeable. Like less than a a hundredth of 1 percent better.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted.

Chill, you posted kinda late. Give it a while. Google some reviews while you are waiting. Maybe youll find the answer, it is prob. faster than this.

5. Philflow macrumors 65816

6. antskip macrumors regular

I don't have a Macbook Pro, but do have a W500, after having a succession of Dells- the last a Precision M70. I have the WUXGA, and have not seen the WSXGA+. But some reports say that the WSXGA+ is brighter than the WUXGA; some the same. The brightness of the WUXGA is said to be 175-200 nits. Whatever; in use it seems not in any way worse than the other W/UXGA screens I have had this past 10 years from Dell - plenty bright enough indoors on mains. Its factory-setting for battery is a few notches down from full brightness, and is indeed inadequate - one just needs to change the setting it to full brightness (the mains setting). Otherwise, it is a stunning matt-finish screen. I can't stand mirror-screens. As for brightness, it is just not suitable for outdoor viewing - you would want something closer to 400 nits, like the Lenovo 17" W700m (which has double-lighting), or the Dell Studio 16 (with LED). So I can't compare with a Macbook Pro, but can say the screens on the W500 are excellent, and quite bright enough for their intended use.