MBP screen goes black...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weatherreport, Jun 29, 2012.

1. weatherreport macrumors newbie

Hi... I just upgraded my MacBook Pro 15 (mid 2009, running Lion) memory from 4GB to 8GB. Kingston DDR3 1066Hz. It worked perfectly fine. But I noticed that screen goes off from time to time... Like it goes to sleep... When I press a button it wakes up to ask my password. Nothing really serious I guess, but annoying as well... Could that be from the RAM upgrade? Any ideas? Thanks...

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Does this happen when it's not plugged in? Check "Energy Saver" under System Preferences, the default is probably set very short if it's running on battery.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

um it sounds like a screensaver is on. does this happen when you're away for a bit? or while you're actually using the computer?

4. weatherreport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. It happened once a day in the two following days. Once it did happen Using safari only. Not really sure if I was on battery, because I usually use the MPB in battery cycles. Just did some quick tests and don't think the problem is from a screensaver option. I'll try to experiment and keep an eye and let you know. Many thanks for the time to give a thought.

5. icewing macrumors 6502

what are your settings under Energy Saver - looks like a fluorescent light bulb? That is a different place than Screen Saver.

6. weatherreport thread starter macrumors newbie

Display set to sleep at 10min, computer set to sleep in 15 min. Thas's both on battery and on power adapter. All boxes checked, except for the "restart automatically if the computer freezes."

7. mondele macrumors newbie

MBP screen goes black

This happens to me all the time! Anyone have a fix for this yet?