MBP screen goes blue when switching graphics cards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revenire, Oct 21, 2011.

1. revenire macrumors member

revenire

Have a 2011 MPB and when it goes from Dynamic to Integrated I get a blue screen. Not always but often enough. This just started maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Weird.

Anyone heard of this?

I don't have Applecare yet but the machine is covered (just not for phone calls - it is about 7 months old).

Thanks.

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it does this when I plug something into the Thunderbolt port, but I haven't noticed it using GFXCardStatus...

3. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Im getting this problem now to. Its starting to piss me off.

It typically happens when I'm running multiple tabs in firefox and quit the application.

Im running a 2011 Macbook Pro, 4gb RAM, Intel 320 SSD 120gb on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

4. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

Yeah just started recently. Has to be an issue with the graphics card / logic board from what I have been able to see. Annoying isn't the word. Nealry 3k for the thing and what? 8 months out this starts? It always happens when going from Dynamic to Integrated. I have to power the thing down. Ran hardware tests and found nothing wrong (by the test you can run by holding down D as the MBP boots). I am buying Applecare tomorrow and will keep this updated. I've read of others having the same issue but haven't seen the fix posted yet.

Take care and thanks.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Is this a solution?

6. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

Yeah it is a solution of sorts. This has to be an issue Apple can solve. To shut off switching with gfxCardStatus stops it from happening but the machine was built to switch cards. Want it to work as sold. This is a defect. But thanks.