MBP screen going black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by udontno, Nov 19, 2011.

1. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

I have an early 2011 MBP. It is running Lion (shipped with it) and I got it in August. Extra careful with it, it's my baby, no drops or anything.

Lately, sometimes while using the computer on battery power while in my bed or sitting on the floor, if I move the computer the screen will go to black. If I push the power button, everything pops back like normal except I'm at the log in screen.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Is it going to sleep? Does it chime when you press the power button?

3. Swain macrumors member

Just curious.

Why are you sitting on the floor?
    Are you aware of the fact that mankind invented furniture a long time ago?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

is your sleep timer set to something like 10 seconds?

5. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

It doesn't chime when I press the power button.
    I'm in college. Where there isn't a lot of furniture and if you've got a lot of people in your room, you have to sit somewhere.

How long my sleep timer is set for? This is my first Mac, I'm kinda a newbie.

I don't think it's going to sleep, because the screen has gone black while I'm streaming videos. I'll have the laptop in my lap, shift positions, move the computer while watching the video, and screen goes black.

6. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

I would still check the sleep timer on it, cause it sounds like it could just be going to sleep. Go to "System Preferences," click "Energy Saver, (the lightbulb), then you will see your sleep time, if it's really, really low adjust it to a good level and that should fix your problem. Don't forget to look at both the "computer sleep" AND " the display sleep. If it doesn't fix your issue, it's a hardware defect, you can take it in to get it replaced at an apple store.

7. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

The computer sleep is set to 15 minutes and the display sleep is set to 3 minutes when it is plugged in.

What do you think good settings are?