MBP screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2contagious, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hello everybody,

My MBP (1.83 GHz, bought in April 2006) was one of the Macbook Pro's that had the whining noise. About a month before the warranty ran out, I got it "fixed": the logic board was replaced, which was supposed to be the source of the problem. However, after taking my MBP back home, I noticed that the exact same whining noise was still there.. so I guess the logic board was not the (only?) problem. As I need my laptop for my studies, I decided to keep the MBP the way it is and accept the fact that there will be a whining noise in the background when I work on it.

Except this hardware issue, I never had any problems with it- until now. Four days ago, the screen started having some ... mh.. let's say "backlight inconsistencies". I don't really know if you can call it flickering, but that's what it looks like: the screen flickers slighty in a weird way that gives me headaches after working on it for a few hours. The screen area does not flicker equally. It could be described as "flicker ghosting".

What could be the source of this problem? The screen? The backlight? The inverter?
    Going back to the whining issue: I heard that some people who had the high pitch noise problem got their MBP fixed and it came back with a new display inverter. Could it be that the persistent whining noise and the flickering are both related to a bad inverter? What do you think?

2. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

It could be the inverter. Inverters have been known to make high-pitched buzzing noises.

Are you able to post a video of the flickering?

4. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

nope. it just flickers slighty. a camera wouldn't be able to catch it. it is still very annoying though.. especially after working on it for a few hours :(