Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Hi, I bought a used MBP, I know this is risky, but it was the only thing I could afford right now. I spent a long time going over it with the person I bought it from and there were no problems I could find. However, on further use, the screen occasionally goes a little crazy. It gets a yellow striped checker pattern all over it. A restart fixes the problem, but I'm wondering what you think is causing this. Is the screen going bad or is it something esle? The computer is a 15' MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and a 500 GB Hard drive which is partitioned to run Bootcamp. I have attached a picture of what the screen looks like. Any help you might offer would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 183

ksjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Thank you, I'll look into it. It think I'll take it to the apple store and see what they think. One other question...according to the serial number this mac should only be able to be upgraded to 6GB of RAM, but this has been upgraded to 8. It seems to be working fine, but I just wondered if that can cause any problems?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thank you, I'll look into it. It think I'll take it to the apple store and see what they think. One other question...according to the serial number this mac should only be able to be upgraded to 6GB of RAM, but this has been upgraded to 8. It seems to be working fine, but I just wondered if that can cause any problems?
Those MBP's cannot take 8Gb without being unstable. Pull the extra 4Gb out and see if things improve.

But it looks like your graphics card is shot.

ksjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Problem solved!

I pulled one of the RAM units but it didn't make a difference. In the end though, I lucked out. I took the machine in to the apple store and it tested positive for the faulty Graphics Card. It's more than a 1000 dollar repair but they are going to cover it...sigh of relief! Also, I asked about the RAM and they told me that while the machine would not use all of the 8Gb, it usually won't hurt to leave it in, and just to remove it if things become unstable. Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.