MBP screen option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuchichan, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

On a 15" MBP, is it worthwhile upgrading the screen? If so, one step up or two (to the anti-glare)?

Thanks...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hi res, definitely. You get 36% more pixels which is very nice and cannot be added later on. Antiglare is up to you, some people like it while others prefer glossy

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The hi-res option is fantastic. Unless you find it makes the font too small. Personally I could go up at least 1 or 2 more resolution bumps. I have the anti-glare option. I much prefer it to the 2 previous MBPs I've had with glossy screens.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

High resolution screen, for sure. The text is NOT too small. I don't have perfect vision, but even without glasses, it's absolutely OK. There are some websites where the text is sometimes too small, but then I just pinch and zoom using the trackpad.

Oh, and matte screen all the way. There's no real loss in colour or clarity, and you don't get annoying reflections (i.e. noise) that will only result in reduced contrast (yeah yeah, physics major....).

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

How does the high-res anti glare screen compare to the MBA 13"?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In terms of what? The PPI is pretty much the same (127.68 vs 128.65) but 15" has 36% more pixels in total. I haven't seem the in person so I can't talk about quality differences.

Of course the most obvious difference is that MBA is glossy and MBP is matte

7. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Some people complain their eyes can't handle the hi-res. If you are not one of those people, GET HI-RES. It's something you can't upgrade later and you will be very happy with the extra screen real-estate.

I chose anti-glare also because our office lights are BRIGHT and my friend's MBP always has a huge annoying glare on it. The downside is cleaning is difficult. With the standard glass option you literally just Windex it. When I get fingerprints on it I have to be careful while cleaning. Also I guess the silver bezel is a turn off for some people, but I don't mind.

8. miata macrumors 6502

Get the highest resolution your eyes can handle so that you can display the most amount of information with as much clarity as possible on the least amount of screen real estate.

9. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

The new 13'' MBA has 1440x900 now (standard res of the 15'' MBP)

The hi-res 15'' MBP has 1680x1050 (standard res of the 17'' MBP before 2008)

What used to be hi-res for the 17'' MBP three years ago is standard res now.
    Same thing with the 15'' now, next year it will be standard res, and you will feel sorry you hadn't upgraded in time, so I say go for the hi-res, it's worth it especially for the larger screen estate and future value of your notebook.

As for the matte option, I don't find the glossy to be peticular annoying, but then again I use matte everyday, so I think it will be a better option if you work on your computer alot or in heavy lighting environments.