MBP + screen or imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by leemarquis, Oct 23, 2009.

1. leemarquis macrumors newbie

Cant decide between 15" MBP and a larger screen to connect it to or a new 27" iMac.

Its for photo editing and design mainly so I really didnt want a glossy screen, but the new iMacs seem very good. Do you think there will be a matte option anytime soon?

Will there be much difference between the power of the MBP and the imac, if both have same amount of ram?

If I got a MBP what screen would be good to connect it too - again I would want to avoid glossy.

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I wouldn't buy an iMac just to use as an external monitor. If you plan to use the iMac and MBP independently it makes more sense otherwise the 24" ACD is very good and costs less. There's also the possibilty if we wait long enough there will be a 27" ACD.

3. leemarquis thread starter macrumors newbie

The 24" ACD is glossy and if I was going to sacrifice and accept a glossy screen I would want it to be an imac! What matte screen could I get?

4. bass93 macrumors regular

Check out the Samsung T240HD or the T260HD. The T240HD is pretty cheap on Tiger Direct. They also have TV inputs. Search on YouTube "tigerdirectblog Samsung T260HD".

5. kaplan macrumors newbie

I'd get the iMac if you don't need to travel with your computer, you should be able to hook a 2nd display up to the iMac too.

I have an older iMac 20" with a glossy display, which I'm not a big fan of, and hooked my older matte 20" cinema display... very nice for working on design/web/photo stuff. 2 monitors is nice.

I also think that the iMac will end up more of a workhorse than the MBP, but that's my opinion... I have an older MBP that used to wheez and heat when I was really cranking on work. I gave the MBP to my lady when I set up the iMac and couldn't be happier. Well, I'll be happier when the next Pro comes out with a bigger (matte) display.

happy computing,
    kaplan

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

so long as you dont have a light right on the screen, glossy isnt too bad, but if you detest it so badly samsung have a good range for decent prices [​IMG] btw this means get an external monitor not an imac