Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimStenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Hi,

I'm brand new to MacRumors. I've tried looking through the other threads to find my problem without luck. I could of course be an idiot and looking in the wrong places.

My older 15" MBP 2008 2.2/2.4 GHz has big Purple and Green Blocks running vertically down the screen it also has a message that is hard to read but says roughly
"your Computer restarted because of a problem press any key for a few seconds to continue starting up"

See attached photo. View attachment 362230

Any ideas on what I should do before forking out the $$ to get it looked at.

It's not our main computer but I would like to get it running again so that the kids can use it.

Cheers,

J.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm brand new to MacRumors. I've tried looking through the other threads to find my problem without luck. I could of course be an idiot and looking in the wrong places.

My older 15" MBP 2008 2.2/2.4 GHz has big Purple and Green Blocks running vertically down the screen it also has a message that is hard to read but says roughly
"your Computer restarted because of a problem press any key for a few seconds to continue starting up"

See attached photo. View attachment 362230

Any ideas on what I should do before forking out the $$ to get it looked at.

It's not our main computer but I would like to get it running again so that the kids can use it.

Cheers,

J.

Looks like GPU failure to me. You may be lucky and it's a loose connection to the screen but I've only seen that once before. Might be worth taking it the a store to get them to have a look as a loose cable will be easily spotted. If it's a GPU failure then that's going to be pricey :(

Good luck!

EDIT: If it is a loose cable, I cant see how that would be reported as 'a problem' by the system..

KeeFX

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If your MBP contains the Nvidia 8600 GPU, and this is an issue with your GPU, then Apple are obliged to replace the logic board at no cost to you. Just take it in and let them have a gander.

JimStenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Thanks guys,

Will take it in and have it looked at, will let you know.

It's just over 4 years old now and the recall in the link that T5BRICK posted says that they'll fix for free if it's less than 4 years old.

I'll give it a go and see.

Thanks again.

J.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.