MBP Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Derekhk, May 28, 2010.

1. Derekhk macrumors member

The backlight bleed issue was too much for me to ignore so I decided to take it to the Store for a screen replacement. The Genius told me that while a screen replacement might help, there are no guarantees the new screen is any better. The replacement is a one-time offer only. Well, I decided to do it anyway and I'm now waiting for them to order in the replacement screen. The Genius was nice enough to tell me that while there are no guarantees, he's yet to see a replacement that is worse than the original.

Anyways, how many of you have done a screen replacement? Did you end up getting a better display?

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

its probably about $600+ hope all goes well! keep us posted

3. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

My machine is little over a month old so the warranty is taking care of that. I'm kinda bummed my 14 day period is over but I'm hoping for the best! Thanks

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

np, your screen will be perfect. if apple is doing it, you're fine. they did build your mbp in the first place right? ;)

5. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm just worried about dead pixels or anything that my current screen doesn't have. :S

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Dead pixels are rare, but you do find them on screens now and then. On my first MacBook Pro (a late-2006 model) I had the screen replaced once since the backlight was failing, and the replacement had a stuck pixel close to the middle of the screen. It's too late to be worrying now anyway so rest easy until you get it back.

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah i understand about the whole dead pixels thought. my current screen passed all the tests, so i would be worried if my new screen would be the same. but its ok, you can send that back and get a newer one! :D

8. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

That's the thing, the screen replacement is a one-time offer.

9. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Thats weird because i've had my MBP screen replaced twice in the space of two weeks because the screens they replaced with both sucked, and now they are going to replace my screen once again because of another issue. Hopefully third times the charm.

When i asked the Apple Genius why they just replace my computer instead and they said that they only do that when its only mechanical failure of more than one major part.

Even though my screen did not have a mechanical failure it still is being replaced and when you think about it mechanical failure or not they are still going to replace the display assembly for the third time. I just think that it would be cheaper to replace the computer by this point, but they are insistant on doing another screen replacement.

Oh well i guess apple care was totally worth it for me. They told me that because i have apple care its why they are replacing the screen for the THIRD time.

10. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I think it will be as good as new when it comes back. Keep us updated!

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

ahhhhh that sucks, i didn't know that O_O. if i were u i would test the screen while your at the store infront of a apple employee at the genius bar. so therefore if anything happens, ur chances of getting it redone AGAIN will go way up :D

12. Mirabella macrumors regular

I had a defective screen on my old MacBook Pro, and it was replaced, under warranty. Yes, I ended up getting a better display. It was also repaired and returned to me much faster than I expected.

13. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Then why didn't they do it right in the first place ;)

14. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

I wonder how much bleed you have. I have a bit too, but I guess that you can't really get one without any. I think it's just a common feature... Care to post a pic?

15. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

16. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

Just got back from the store to find that the replacement display is even worse. Backlight bleed itself is more even and by that I mean the glow is even and spreads to almost the whole left side of the screen.

Very disappointed, going to email Apple now.

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That's strange. These new N154C6-L04 & compatible LG models have given me the least issues of any LCD I've ever purchased for an Apple machine. I am surprised.

18. wschutz macrumors 6502

Apple does not build anything...
    Apple designs... and then hires manufacturers to build those designs... (does Foxconn ring a bell? it has been on the news lately...) and in that process... Apple also selects the providers of the components... (and Apple does not select Premium components anymore... so you get... more or less the same you will find with other manufacturer :)

19. Derekhk thread starter macrumors member

Update: Apple is replacing the screen for me. Hope the new ones better.

20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Getting a screen replacement is like tossing a multi-faceted coin. Hopefully this time it will land on heads.

21. Chansp1970 macrumors newbie

I tossed the coin six times when I got my 2006 MBP (whole machine swap or screen replacement). I want to buy an i5 or i7 MBP but I really don't want to go through the panel lottery all over again. Last time it took three months to get me an acceptable screen.

To buy or not to buy? I got the money. But it's a pain if I first get an imperfect screen and have to deal with Apple and to replace it for perhaps several times. No kidding. This is actual the thing that stops me for buying a new MBP.

22. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't blame you one bit because I can empathize with you. On my first MBP I went through two screen replacements. On my previous one I went through three. On this one I only needed one. I think the screen is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest part when it comes to quality control.