MBP screen wiggles?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gilgolf, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Gilgolf macrumors newbie

When I opened my mac book pro's screen up, I noticed that when i let go of it it physically wiggled. It eventually slowed down and stop but now, even as I am typing it is slightly wiggling back and forth. Does this always happen or did something go wrong in the hinge?

2. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

If it on a level hard surface it should move very little while typing. If it is not on a hard surface and the whole unit moves slightly while typing, it will make the screen "wiggle"

3. Gilgolf thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it set on a hard surface, and it is only the screen

4. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

It is hard to picturehow much it is "wiggling"

Take it to the Geeks and let them see it wiggle:eek:

5. Gilgolf thread starter macrumors newbie

It's odd because when I have it on my lap it doesn't do it, but when I set it on my desk, it shakes, and if i tap the back of the screen when its open it wiggles. Could someone set their MBP on a hard surface and tap the back of the screen, and tell me if it shakes at all?
    ---Odd I know---

6. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Sure, mine "wiggles" - yeah there's bound to be a bit of a spring-ey effect there.... You're talking about the whole physical lid, right? Not the image on the screen.

It doesn't wiggle while I type unless I bump the table or something- but I have noticed that if I'm typing with it on my lap - especially when I get "passionate" and start typing harder and more furiously:eek: - yeah, there's a bit of wiggle there.

7. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

The screen is a good bit of weight that is held only by the hinges at the bottom. I would think it would have a little bit of a spring effect. It is hard to describe what would be normal

8. Gilgolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I guess I am just paranoid, or mabye its because I am used to using a PC and the breaks that happen there so I am just being critical of it :)

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

It's normal. The screen will shake a tiny bit if the lappy is moved, you're typing hard, or it's on an uneven surface. The hinges don't ever really keep the lid perfectly still unless there's zero movement on the desk. My desk it a little shaky, and the tiny shakes actually transmit into the screen when I type on my mbp. Put your mbp on a relaly heavy, stable desk (kitchen table?). You probably won't see any movement then.