MBP screen won't turn on after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Jan 27, 2008.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

When I try to wake my MBP from sleep, the screen won't turn on. The sleep light goes away and I can hear it turn back on but the screen remains off. I must hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on for it to reset itself. A little background info. I have OWC RAM installed. The type of MBP is the one in my sig. As of now, the only programs installed are the stock ones, Google Earth, iMovie HD, and iStat Pro. Any suggestions?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

This happens to me once a every fortnight. I believe it is a Leopard and/or MBP issue. Hope it will get fixed by 10.5.2 update.

I remember hearing that iStats Pro may be causing this, but I'm not so sure.

3. thebeat macrumors regular

it must have went into a deep sleep then hahaha.........

ok really, my friend had the same problem, then he took off iStats, and it worked.

4. ekcoh macrumors newbie

I'm 99% sure that iStat Pro is causing it. I had this problem too; just took off iStat and haven't had it since.

5. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I have the latest version of iStat Pro installed on my MacBook Pro and I haven't had any issues whatsoever, what other software do you guys have installed? (I'm running 10.5.1)

6. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

IM getting it rarely.

Sometimes it fine others it won't come back at all.

Out of the 300 odd times I've had to sleep it, its come back 295 of those times...

7. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

It is not every time I wake it from sleep, just some of the times. The only programs I have on it are those that I stated earlier. I will uninstall iStat Pro later to see if this corrects it. Thanks for the help.

8. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

so did it correct it?

9. ayman86 macrumors newbie

i also have the same problem. ill uninstall istats and see if it corrects the problem for me

10. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

have you updated to 10.5.2?

11. pdechavez macrumors regular

how do you permanently delete istat pro since its a widget?

12. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

press dashboard, there should be a plus sign on the bottom left corner, press it,
    next to it should be manage widgets, press that, and then find istat pro and remove and it should automatically go into your trash.

13. gotzero macrumors 68040

My MPB has been going crazy regarding sleeping, but it has to do mostly with 10.5.2 and clamshell/external issues.

I hope there will be a MBP update coming out FAST, because it seems like everyone with an MBP is having some kind of display problem with the graphics update.

14. ayman86 macrumors newbie

i removed the istat widget and ive already updated to 10.5.2 when it came out. imo, it has actually gotten worse. the longer its been a asleep the more frequently the screen wont turn on. i am deeply disappointed by this. i do not like the idea of manually turning off the notebook. thats bad practice imo.

on another note, ive also had the computer freeze up and turn gray with a notice saying i have to restart the computer. ive had more problems with the mac than i ever did with a pc (maybe win me included. lol).

15. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

no guys

look if you wake your MBP up from sleep

and the screen remains off

just wait for like 1 minute or so

it will turn on back

because i thought of the same at the 1st

so i was like waking my MBP up from its sleep, but the screen remains off, i thought, oh ****, it's hang

but that time, i was playing my ps2 games, so i thought, just leave it as it is, but guess what

around 30 seconds after that, the screen is back

this is an issue of 10.5.1, and now after 10.5.2 i never had that bug again

16. ayman86 macrumors newbie

maybe it works for you, but my screen still doesnt turn on. whether is 30 secs of 5 minutes. before it used to be a minute or two but in the past couple of weeks, the screen doesnt turn on.

and waiting for 1 minute for the screen to turn on is unacceptable. i dont care if its a mac, i want the screen to turn on when i want it on, not on its own accord.

17. laurenmoyer macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have this problem almost everyday. My computer won't wake up from sleeping but you can hear the hard drive running and the sound buttons work. I don't have istat on my computer, I don't even know what it is. I have all the basic harware and adobe CS3.

18. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I was told by Applecare that there is an update regarding this coming out soon... no date though.

19. ren857 macrumors member

I had the same problem. I had to call Apple Care twice. The second tech recommended that I re-install the OS (archive and install). That fixed the problem for me.

20. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Well, yeah, because 10.5.2 and related updates was what caused it. But I need 10.5.2.

21. CisternaChyli macrumors member

mine did it today again..but it turned out that it didnt wake from sleep cause the battery charge was too low..:)

22. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I had this exact same issue with my 2 month old SR MBP. Also my WiFi connection would drop and wouldn't connect to my home network so I always had to disable Airport and re-enable.

I ended getting a replacement for the Penryn version and I no longer have this issue.