MBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PPAC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. PPAC macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm sure someone might have asked this or maybe not. Anyway I'm in the market and curious about which MBP pro to buy, a classic or a rMBP.

My question is a simple one. Is it possible to upgrade the screen resolution on the Classic MBP or even send it to a company and they could change the panel?

Thanks in advance!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not possible to change a classic screen to a retina screen afterwards. It is encased in the top case and the physical specs are different from a classic. If you wanta retina computer, buy the retina Macbook Pro.

3. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

It should be possible to combine retina screen panel with classic Macbook Pro body,
    but I don't know any companies that provide such a service.

If somebody has enough money and time for research, I think he could accomplish this custom mod,
    and combine all the benefits of cMBP (like upgradability) with a better screen of rMBP.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The retina models have different footprints and bezel sizes compared to the non-retina models, so if you could somehow fit the retina display housing onto a classic Macbook Pro, the lid wouldn't be the same size as the bottom half.

The screen panels on the retina models are completely laminated/glued such that the glass that is integrated into the LCD panel itself from the manufacturer extends all the way to the edge of the bezel. I don't see any way to take even just the LCD panel from a retina model and put it into the classic MBP's display housing.

5. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

This way you would combine upgradability and repairability with a better screen! ;)