MBP Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Renese-Williams, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Renese-Williams macrumors member

Renese-Williams

Okay, so for Uni I'm supposed to get a Macbook Pro. The only thing I'm wondering is the screen. What is the difference between the glossy and anti-gloss screen. Is the anti-gloss screen just as good as the glossy screen? Do you guys have any comparable pictures?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh this will probably start a flame war lol...

The best thing to do is go to a store and look at a screen. You will hear a lot of mis-information about glossy vs matte screens though just to give you a heads up.

I've used both extensively and I switched everything I have to glossy. I do a lot of photography and color accurate work and I used to believe the myth of "matte is better for color accurate work". After extensive testing on my own I found the opposite to be true.

It all boils down to personal preference though.

3. Renese-Williams thread starter macrumors member

Renese-Williams

I don't mind glossy screens really. My Studio has one. I've just heard that the screen on the MBP is really glossy.

I have went to the apple store near my house; however, out of the MBPs they were displaying, none where matte. That's why I'm asking online. :p

4. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I’ve been thinking about this a bit too. I think i do prefer matte for pure “crispness” but having used a glassy 24” external for the past couple of years ive decided i dont really care, they both have ups and down. My main decision will be whether i want a silver border (that i believe is left if you have a non glossy screen) around the display or a black one (on the glossy ones for the glass cover.)

Come to think of it, do they still leave the border silver or have apple now given non glossy ones? I think id actually prefer a silver border!

In short, i dont think either option makes much of a difference, they will both be nice respectively, just one will look shiny and new.

5. Renese-Williams thread starter macrumors member

Renese-Williams

I have no idea about the border. I didn't find out they had a matte option until last week. xD

Aye, they will be nice. It's just if I'm going to be paying 3000 for the laptop, I want it to be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. :p

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

they are the same quality, just one has a glass cover, and one does not.

Which you choose is really best decided by having a look, although if there was no matte option in the store, you are a little stuck.

Personally, I would always go with matte if given the choice, and would be wary about doing anything colour critical on a glossy display.

However, my macbook has a glossy (NB. NOT GLASSY) screen which i find very comfortable for day to day use.

Glassy screens on the other hand I find unbearable because:

1. too many reflections
    2. screen brightness needs to be turned up high to reduce reflections, but then is so bright it is very uncomfortable on the eyes.

I will not be buying a mac with a glassy screen - ever.

Finally, lots of people do use them without issue. so horses for courses :)

7. Renese-Williams thread starter macrumors member

Renese-Williams

Yeah, it's that glass I'm worried about. Perhaps I should go back to the apple story and really play around with the ones that have glass. See if I actually don't mind using them. Lol. xD :p

8. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I was against the glossy display at 1st. I had an old Macbook Pro with a matte display and felt it was the best thing since sliced bread. But when I recently decided to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro, I literally spent about a week deciding which display to get. Don't ask me the reason why, but I went with a glossy display and don't regret it one bit. The screen is absolutely beautiful!:apple:

9. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Hard decision!

Well, I've had both. No doubt the glossy option stands out when image/photo beauty is in game. At the same time it sucks really bad in bright sunny days.

The main question to you is: are you going to use your laptop indoors or outdoors?

For mostly indoors, I'd recommend glossy. For mostly outdoors I'd definitely say matte.

I chose to buy a matte external 24" display (less than $200) and a glossy laptop.

Now that I sold my late 2008 MBP to buy the new one, I'll probably be doing the other way around. I'll get a glossy 24" display to use while I'm home for color accuracy and a matte screen laptop for wherever I go with my laptop.

Hope it helps.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

11. Renese-Williams thread starter macrumors member

Renese-Williams

As with the above post, this has helped me out as well. I have decided to go with the Matte option. :)