MBP Security - Cable locks, Lojack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGotMac, Apr 24, 2008.

1. iGotMac macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone recommend a particular method of protecting a MBP from thieves while traveling? Is a laptop cable lock worth it?
    What about LoJack?

Thank you for any recommendations!

2. sdsviet macrumors regular

i use a cable lock when i go to the library and if i have to use the restroom, i can easily leave it for a few minutes. i dont have real use for lojack since i dont really leave my stuff in the car, its usually always with me and i never leave it alone by itself for a long time too.

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'd like to hear some success stories with lojack.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That is awesome! I'm definitely gonna look into that when I get home. Any first hand experience with this product? Where is the software installed?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would say the cable lock is deter opportunistic theft, but not much else. As with the LoJack, it is useless because the thief will just wipe the computer and it will no longer work. Since Macs do not have a BIOS, the hardware features of LoJack do not exist.

6. matperk macrumors 6502

You can set an "Open Firmware Password" requiring a password to do anything other than a standard boot -- including wiping the drive or booting from another one. That said, they could probably have no trouble opening the thing up and swapping in another drive, but it seems like too much trouble.

Orbicule actually recommends setting up a guest account so the thief can go in and use the internet and the software will communicate pictures and IP addresses of the thief when he/she goes online.

7. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

My best guess is that 90% of people that would steal a laptop are either crack heads or kleptomaniacs with impulsive tendencies. Furthermore, 90% of them probably don't know anything about lojack, swapping hard drives, or reinstalling the OS.

8. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

thats very true, if they are dumb enought to steal a mac, im sure they wouldnt know how to do anything with it

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The best method is to not to let it out of your site. Locks are nice, but they only delay thieves, not stop them. LoJack seems beatable by just reformatting the hard drive. You've spent a lot of money for a quality laptop, don't trust physical security to software or cheap wire.

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

the website goes into great depth about how the software works... it's great. i've never had it stolen so i don't know personally, but i'm sure it'll be a help.

11. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I wish I had an old laptop to try this on. I'd leave it somewhere seedy and invite someone to steal it. Then see if I can get it back. Anybody have an old laptop I can borrow? :)

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

actually its much simpler to reset especially with a laptop.

13. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

iAlertU

a cheap alternative to the previously mentioned software. even takes a picture and emails it to desired address to report to officials, blogs, etc.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm just saying what Lojack told me. I have it on my PCs with BIOS support. It works; change the drive--it's still there.

The one the Mac just does not work as well as the PC version with BIOS support. It's like getting Lojack your car with out the tracker. Why bother?

15. TubbyCow macrumors member

Honestly as a college student myself I would recommend both. Many people I know who have had a laptop stolen had only left it somewhere for a very short amount of time. We seem to have this image of a thief standing around your computer doing whatever he can to break the lock. If they walk into an open dorm room and see the lock they will probably just move on to another target.

Likewise we tend to think what we would do if we stole a laptop. We might wipe/swap the hardrive because we are the ones who know about lojack. The majority of people do not and will probably just try to use it themself. Whenever I tell someone that I have this program that could trace the computer if stolen they are like that is really cool i did not know about that. These goes to show that most people do not think about it