MBP seems a little slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WCunha, Mar 5, 2008.

1. WCunha macrumors member

I searched and really couldn't find an answer. I have an MBP 2.16 2GB of RAM running Tiger. I recently started to notice that it takes longer to boot than it used to. I compared it to an 6 year old Dell that just had Windows reinstalled and the Dell boots faster.

Is there a utility I should be running every once in a while on my Mac that would be similar to defragment on Windows?

Thanks, Wade

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

no, you don't. Windows has NEVER booted faster than any OS (Linux or OS X) for me anywhere in the last 6 years.

Open activity monitor or do a top in Terminal to see what is eating cpu cycles. Also check the login items you have in preferences.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I would try a) repairing permissions in the Disk Utility and b) resetting the PRAM.

To reset the PRAM, shut down your computer, then boot it while holding down control-command-P-R. It should begin to boot, and then suddenly reboot a second time, after which the PRAM will be reset.

4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

HFS volumes don't generally require defragging in the same sense as NTFS/FAT. As gloss said, try repairing permissions. You can also try running your cron scripts and if all that fails, a light cache clean.

5. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

What exactly is PRAM?