MBP Self Powers on when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zschiffman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. zschiffman macrumors member

I've had this issue on and off where my MBP (used with lid closed w/ Samsung External Monitor, apple keyboard, logitech BT mouse, external speakers and HDs...where I would plug power into the MBP (before the DVI cable with the MBP power off and lid closed) and it would turn on by itself. Auto wake is set to 'no'.

Any ideas? AppleCare didn't really know on the phone...:apple:

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

maybe it's your mouse, in leopard preferences, under bluetooth there is the option 'allow bluetooth units to wake the computer', you could check if it's ticked.

3. zschiffman thread starter macrumors member

it could power on the computer though? not wake up but actually power on from a turn off state

4. AVR2 macrumors 6502

I've experienced this once. I'd left my MBP shut down, power socket switched off and lid closed for about a week, and when I switched the power socket back on, the computer immediately booted by itself. I have no Bluetooth devices.

5. chris y. macrumors regular

Mine did this also when I hooked it up to an external display with lid closed and computer in sleep mode. Once I plugged in the power adapter it came on in clamshell mode.

I also just noticed that if I disconnect the magsafe power while it is running in clamshell mode the computer automatically goes to sleep.

6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

the bluetooth activity can wake up the notebook, but not power it on, sorry.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Energy Saver Options

I just saw this last night. There is setting in the Energy Saver Options to restart automatically after a power failure. It's been an option for years, I remember it in OS9.

8. zschiffman thread starter macrumors member

it is set to off. :apple:

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can identify with you. However, this 'problem' doesn't bother me. It happens for certain when the MBP sleeps for an extended time.

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Ok. Strike one...

Disconnect everything from if and unpair the bluetooth mouse.

Shut down and unplug the power supply from the MBP and the power strip or outlet.

Plug the power supply into the MBP, then plug it into the outlet.
    What happened?

Now do it all again with just the keyboard plugged in.
    Now again with the keyboard and monitor.
    Now again with the mouse,too. Then the Hard Drive....

11. n8c macrumors member

I think I may have the answer...

I was looking at the "Macbook Pro won't wake from sleep" forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=441089), where they were talking about toggling some hidden power management settings in the terminal using the command "pmset."

When I looked further into pmset here:

http://www.ss64.com/osx/pmset.html

I found this value that you can toggle:

So, try going into the terminal, type "sudo pmset acwake 0" then type in your password, and maybe this behavior will stop.