MBP Selling dilemma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolca1028, Jul 6, 2011.

  1. coolca1028 macrumors member

    Nov 6, 2008
    Alright, so I've "kind of" decided to part with my 17" MBP its the MC226LL/A version and i ***** you not its an awesome machine.
    The main reason i want to let it go is because of its portability. A tad too bit heavy...
    So I am planning to get the New macbook air when it comes out to carry around and the 27" iMac for home.
    But after a long thought, I kind of don't want to let go now... It served me great over the past 2 years... Can't afford the two macs without selling this one.
    Not to mention, I've already got an offer for 1800$ for it.
    What should I do?
    Sell it? or keep it?

    Your inputs would be great guys, thx
  2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030


    Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    What do you do with it? It's impossible to answer your question without any context.
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Sounds like you already decided that the 17" laptop is too big for your needs. My only comment is that going from a mammoth 17" MB to a small 13" or 11" MBA may take a large adjustment. They're really two very different laptops.
  4. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
  5. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 6, 2008
    kid huh?...

    alright, well, how about this?
    Selling it for 1800$ or trade off for the 13"MBA 128ssd + 400$?
  6. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009
    Not sure why this is causing sleepless nights. Nothing is permanent and your next computer will certainly not be your last. Sell it and get what you want. If you end up not liking it, sell it and get something else.
  7. coolca1028 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 6, 2008
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Well, not exactly causing "sleepless nights"
    Just want to get it right fairly...
    Helpful comments would be greatly appreciated, (not saying your comment was unhelpful kappaknight ;) )
  8. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009
    I think you already know what you want to do. You are looking for people to spew out what you want to hear to affirm your decision. If you liked the 17", I honestly don't see why you wouldn't enjoy a new computer even more. Again, just do it and you are free to change your mind again if you find it not to your liking.
  9. tombubi macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2011
    If your current MBP is serving you well, I think a new one should do even better. If you find out the new one is not to your liking, it is not the end of the world and you can always change it.
  10. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    An observation from someone who just did something similar...

    Sold a previous-gen MBP in order to purchase a MBA and mini. Coming from laptop-only to a desktop+laptop, I found that I used the MBA for everything, and the mini sat unused, basically just acting as a storage node. The MBA was inadequate as my only machine because of the smaller hard drive.

    Ended up selling both machines and getting a current-gen MBP (13"). Much happier.

    So, advice: If you're laptop-exclusive, stay that way. You will probably be happier with a smaller MBP plus an external display that you would be with a desktop+MBA.
  11. windowstomac macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2011
    It is worth thinking about the considerable drop is screen real estate you will experience due to the lower resolution. Depending on how your work, this could be significant.

    That said, i have just gone from a 15.4" Windows machine with 1680x1050 to my new 13" MBP with significantly lower resolution, and I am still happy - I have just had to change the way I work with multiple apps slightly.


Share This Page