MBP Serial Number Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hanialbeik, Apr 26, 2013.

1. hanialbeik macrumors newbie

Hello,

The infamously known "Serial Number" issue attacks me at my weakest point. i'm going to try to make this as clear as possible.

Mac Specs:
    Model: MacBook Pro 5,2 (unibody)
    2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM DDR3
    Mac History:
    No Logic Board has been changed before, Its the same one.
    Hard Disk Crashed twice and went to recovery, then replaced by a new hard disk
    New HDD: TOSHIBA MK5059GSX (~500GB)
    Recently Setup Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Note: I don't think this is related to the OS. The reason i identified this problem was due to iCloud not working, It never worked on Lion previously either. After Setting up Mountain Lion (thinking that this will fix all my problems), I was stalled again with iCloud, Facetime and such apps to continue NOT working. Hence my extensive research on this topic till i summed it down to the Serial Number Probelm

Story:
    Through Terminal:
    typed: "ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber"
    Gives Me: "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "System Serial#"
    Apple Menu > About this Mac > Double Click On Version Details
    Gives me: Serial Number System Serial#
    System Profiler Application
    Gives me: Serial Number (system): Not Available
    The Lizard App couldn't find SMBIOS.plist
    I know where my Serial Number is Etched on the back of my laptop
    Tried PRAM and SMC Resets.

Inquiry:
    While keeping in mind that i currently have no reach to any apple store, retailer or reseller and my only way to fix this problem is a DIY task that i'm hoping to gain from you guys, I need to be able to reinstate my Serial Number (or flash logic board). Apparently there are tools that can do that, which i can't seem to get my hands on (other than lizard, which didn't work for me).

So, How do i get my mac to recognize my supposed serial number to have it back to normal?

Thank you in advance.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

We are not allowed to tell you here, it is against the rules, the only way which is legal for you is to go to Apple.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AFAIK, the lizard app you reference is from Chameleon which is used for hackintoshes - its quite possible it won't work on full macs since it may not have Chameleon running and/or a compatibility issue with the current version of OSX.

If you're getting inconsistent results and iCloud is not working have you tried calling apple support, why you may not have an authorized dealer close at hand, you should be able to get support directly from apple.

I think you may run into deeper weeds tying a home remedy to fix this, that is something may be wrong with your mac and only a call to apple could resolve this

4. hanialbeik thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the legality of such a matter. Unfortunately, there are no official apple stores here in lebanon, only retailers who would charge me $300 just for this. Ironic.

Thank you for your response. If there is any more feedback i could receive about this, it would be great.

----------

@maflynn - Thanks man, unfortunately we don't have an OFFICIAL apple store here, they are all market retailers. There is a large charge for this which is usually done for free.

I should've added previously that when i entered my serial number for apple support, the webpage gave me an error saying that my product is no more eligible for support.

I Guess i need to purchase a waranty or Apple Aid of somesort to get that through.. correct?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A MacBook Pro 5,2 was released in 2009 so extended warranty is not an option at this point.

Did you try to a clean install of OSX? Perhaps something went wrong with the install of Mountain Lion? The reason why I say it, is because you can see the serial number in the about mac dialog box and through the terminal, not just through the system profiler.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, that is the problem here, the problem is we don't know you, you can be the nicest guy and be a completely legal owner, we just don't know.

I myself had this issue with my 8 year old Powerbook, I bought it second hand from a legal owner, the logic board was replaced and had an empty serial.
    I managed to get the serial into it myself just months ago for no real reasons except to show it in the OS.

----------

Don't think he sees any serial, for instance, when I clicked on my Powerbooks about this mac it just shows the text "serial"

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right - I totally misunderstood his post.

That being the option then something wonky is up with his serial so re-flashing the serial number is his only option.

OP are you the original owner? Are you totally sure that the logic board was never replaced? Kind of a moot point I suppose, the bottom line you have limited options at this point.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just a question, we are not allowed to tell how to change his serial (On MR), is this correct?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Discussion of flashing the serial is OK, but specific steps is not because it usually involves Apple Service Toolkit which is not available to consumers, so any help with this violates our piracy rules.

10. hanialbeik thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, you guys are great.

@JustPerry: Thank you so much for your feedback. This has been pretty helpful and very informative. I think this thread will help a lot of people out there too.

@Maflynn: This laptop has been my baby late 2009. Got it when i started my own advertising firm in Dubai. I have personally purchased this MacBook Pro from Dubai iStyle – The official retailer of Abu Dhabi.

I will try to seek for more resources around where i am now (lebanon) and see if i can some sort of official retailer in a nearby country or state. Guess i might end up coughing up 300 for this issue after all :p

You guys are great. This has been very inviting and i think i found my "ultimate" resource :p. Thanks a million again