Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
i know that each Apple product got a serial number, but i lost my MBP box which are supposed to have the serial number of my MBP

the problem is, now as far as i remember, you can check your MBP's Serial Number in System Profiler > Hardware > then the serial number

but mine is like

Serial Number: System Serial#

isn't it supposed to be the serial number instead of "System Serial#" ?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If you have had a logic board replaced then it no longer appears and sometimes it is not there for other reasons too.

The serial number will (IIRC) be printed on a sticker in your battery compartment so you can read it from their.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
i know that each Apple product got a serial number, but i lost my MBP box which are supposed to have the serial number of my MBP

the problem is, now as far as i remember, you can check your MBP's Serial Number in System Profiler > Hardware > then the serial number

but mine is like

Serial Number: System Serial#

isn't it supposed to be the serial number instead of "System Serial#" ?

You can get it from two places:

1. Apple Menu -> About This Mac. Click on the the text for the Version number and it will change to the Build number. Click on the build number and it will show you the system serial number.

2. Inside the battery compartment.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
hmm, yeah i had my MBP's Logic Board changed like 1 week ago due to some RAM slot problem, i got the serial on my Batt Compartment , thanks for the info!

You can get it from two places:
1. Apple Menu -> About This Mac. Click on the the text for the Version number and it will change to the Build number. Click on the build number and it will show you the system serial number.

just out of the curiosity, what do you mean by the next text? you mean the hardware overview tab right?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
just out of the curiosity, what do you mean by the next text? you mean the hardware overview tab right?

If you click the highlighted text it will change to the build number of the os and then to your serial number, however when you have had the logic board replaced I think it is empty as it refers to the same string.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 93

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
oh, i just know you could do that, lol, well anyways

yeah, the serial is empty as it only says "Serial Number System Sal#"

but anyway, thanks for the time =)

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
take it back to the service center. They should be able to fix the problem.

noob mistake.

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
Old thread, newly found issue. My well out of warranty MBP had its logic board replaced two years ago and they must have forgotten to set the serial number, since I have the same issue. Since it's been so long and is out of warranty, does anyone know how to encode the serial? I can get the number from the computer's physical markings, but I thought in the event it's stolen that it would be useful to have the serial encoded. Thanks!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Old thread, newly found issue. My well out of warranty MBP had its logic board replaced two years ago and they must have forgotten to set the serial number, since I have the same issue. Since it's been so long and is out of warranty, does anyone know how to encode the serial? I can get the number from the computer's physical markings, but I thought in the event it's stolen that it would be useful to have the serial encoded. Thanks!

The Apple Stores or Authorized Service Centers have a tool called the Blank Board Serializer, which they can use to set the serial number, regardless of how long it's been. Just take it in to one and ask them to set it for you. Hopefully they won't charge you, but if they do, it shouldn't be much.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.