MBP Serious Overheating Issues (Previous Gen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McNasty, Jan 4, 2009.

1. McNasty macrumors member

My MBP Specs:

1.83GHz
    1.5GB Ram
    160GB
    OS 10.5
    Replaced Fans

Whenever I am trying to convert a movie file using VisualHub, rip a movie via Handbrake, or burn a DVD using Toast Titanium 8.1, MacBook Pro completely shuts down. I'm certain its an overheating issue, but what can I do? I replaced the old fans and have heard some talk about thermal paste. Has anybody had success with this? I'm also downloading smcFanControl as we speak.

Any insights would be great. Let me know what you did for yours!

Thank you in advance.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

Idle temps: 45°C/118°F

Hold for large load temps.

4. tecknical macrumors regular

those idle temps seem like ordinary to me. my mbp is at 50C right now and its just iTunes and Firefox.

5. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

After about two minutes of using VisualHub to convert a video file, I'm at 83°C and steadily rising.

Right now I'm only running Firefox and VisualHub. I'm watching for the final temps before it explodes and shuts down.

Since I started writing this, its jumped to 86°C

6. tecknical macrumors regular

hmm...thats odd. are you running smcfancontrol or any other fan control app?

7. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

I'm running smcFanControl right now, but only at default settings.

Now at 92°C

8. tecknical macrumors regular

try speeding up the fans. did this happen after you had your fans replaced, or was it happening before that too?

9. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

It happened before I replaced my fans. I thought the replacement might fix the problem. Unfortunately, the problem is worse than ever.

I've just increased the fan speed to a higher RPM.

Temps are now at 100°C. Double in 15 minutes with a relatively small workload.

10. tecknical macrumors regular

definitely take it to the apple store. sounds like a case of bad thermal paste to me. tell the guy at the genius bar to take a look at the thermal paste.

are you still in warranty?

11. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm not under warranty.

Long story short: I bought the warranty and have the documentation to prove it but it doesn't exist according to Apple.

Short I try to re-apply some thermal paste on my own? Have you done it before?

12. tecknical macrumors regular

on an MBP no because I don't need to yet. I have done it on PCs i built, but thats a completely different story. If you purchased the warranty though, you should haggle Apple until they honor that warranty. Don't let them get the best of you. If you can prove it, go to the store, talk to a manager, a supervisor, call their support line, post your story on here, make sure they give you that warranty.

On the thermal paste thing, its not hard to apply, but taking the laptop apart and putting back together is a hassle. There's guides on ifixit.com and I think there's a thread here of someone that did it.

13. McNasty thread starter macrumors member

I've taking the MBP apart a few times so I think I'll give the thermal paste a try. I'll post how it goes!

Thanks for your help!

14. Diji macrumors newbie

any new solutions?

Same boat for me, only worse (though only with Toast)
    Running SMC, maxed out, both fans maxed at 6000rpm+ AND MBP literally sitting on ice packs. MBP supposed to shut down at a certain level of overheat - which it often does - but here it is clocking in at 245°F!!!! On ice!

WTF?

Attached Files:

15. darknite38 macrumors regular

Holy **** 245 F is 118 C

It should definitely have shut down by then. Mine has only gone up to 108 C and while that is still a lot it quickly went down.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This may be a little basic, but have you checked to make sure dust is not impeding anything? Dust and debris can reduce air circulation dramatically and if too much of it piles up, it can even be an insulator, further hiking the temp. 245 is too hot, but not incredibly hot when you are running near peak power off the CPU.