MBP - Serious Problem, any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djgabrielle, Nov 15, 2007.

1. djgabrielle macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro in April this year, specifically to use with Logic Pro 7. I have installed a few other music programs, Open Office, the usual suspects.. I have used it on the internet at work occasionally but most of the time it is offline.
    Basically, it is a reasonably clean system - Intel Core Duo, 2.33 Ghz, 2 GB mem.

I have had issues running Logic ever since I bought it - Core Audio overloads, after which the entire computer would run at the speed of molasses (think Amiga speeds!), even after restart. I have installed all the updates I could find, read all the forum posts etc - I discovered that a few people have run into this problem, with no apparent quick fix in sight.

I nearly gave up on ever running it properly, but a few months ago I downloaded yet another diagnostic disk tool, ran all the batch scripts, cleared all caches, verified permissions etc and reset the Logic preferences. It seemed to stabilize and run beautifully (as it should!) and I started using it regularly again over the last two weeks.

Yesterday I was happily working on a new track, stopped, went to playback and it crapped out again. I quit Logic, cleared my user cache files, cleared my system cache files and restarted the computer. It lingered on the grey startup screen for sometime, and I tried again. After some time it went to the terminal screen and started spitting out a bunch of lines on the variation of following:
    launchd: com.apple.hibindd - exited abnormally: Bad system call
    localhost DNSResponder - 108.4 (Jan 8 2007 20:39:46) [186]

After retrying a number of times, all with the same response, I let it run for some time - it kept trying to execute the script, ending up by terminating it and telling me that it can't register my computer name, and continuing on with abortive DNS errors.

Any idea what the heck??? I have hardly had any time to enjoy my very expensive, beautiful new computer and feeling very demoralized about it all.

I can force start off the system install disk, and have run disk diagnostic with no errors found. I don't want to reinstall the OS, as I have a lot of stuff to get off the harddrive first.

It is still covered under warranty but I don't know if this is a harddrive failure or software issue, it seems more like software.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

sorry i can't help you with any of the specifics. but you should definitely take it to a mac expert (maybe not a "genius", but a 3rd party mac-specific retailer. I know we have at least one here in seattle, and they are much better than the geniuses.

I would also post on some other, more developer-oriented boards. they might be able to help you more over there with their computer expertise.

does anyone have any good suggestions for good dev boards?