MBP seriously slowing down...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Feb 5, 2010.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP mainly for its "reliability", totally aware that all computers have their fair share of problems but that Macs were better for long term. Well, it's already slowing down considerably. I bought this in July 2009, and a lot of times I'll get to the point where the beachball comes up frequently (sometimes every 10 seconds) when I'm moving through webpages or loading up powerpoints and documents. I mean seriously my MBP was messing up on me 30 minutes before a lab report was due (which I did manage to get an A on), as in the beachball kept coming up when I had to copy and paste graphs from Excel to Word and I was scared that I would lose my work.

Where can I go to see if my RAM is being eaten up, or to do a cleanout of the system? Now I really wish I had waited for Windows 7 (a laptop built with it). It's ironic to say that though b/c I have Windows 7 on this MBP via Bootcamp but the Mac OSX is more convenient b/c of battery. But that Windows 7 rarely freezes......

2. Surely Guest

Surely

You can open Activity Monitor, and that will tell you what is going on.

Or, you could download and install iStat Menus.

How much RAM are you running?

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

4GB. I really want to keep this laptop for 2-2.5 years, at least as long as I can in college, but issues like this have to stop, I can't take the risks. I'm not going to buy another laptop for a while but I'm already having other brand names come to mind, but I honestly can't think of any that would be extremely reliable (but Windows 7 I feel almost makes it reliable). We will see. "Once you go Mac you can't go back", well I'm def going back, don't think I'm buying another Mac if it really does have a similar rate of problems and costs more.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

What you are experiencing is not normal.

My suggestion is to take it to the Genius Bar and have them run a diagnostic test on it.

Your MBP should definitely last you as long as the 2-3 years that you expect it to.