MBP set on top of MB, hard drive blown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duke10, Jan 10, 2010.

1. duke10 macrumors newbie

I went to print something on my MBP, and briefly set it down on a MB on the desk. The computer then froze, and I heard a clicking or ticking and set it aside. It wouldn't unfreeze so I just used the MB.
    At this point, the MB works fine (currently on it), but the pro is not booting up. It gets stuck at the grey screen with the little spinning circle. I've tried resetting the PRAM, running a test on the hardware, putting in a install cd (granted, it was for the MB not the pro, don't currently have it). But when trying that (and holding C and whatnot), it will restart over and over again (if still holding C), but when I let go, nothing works.

Is it possible that the problem happened due to setting the laptops on top of each other (It's really just a wild wild guess), or just unfortunate timing.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, I apologize in advance if its not.

Thanks for any advice

2. csdibiase macrumors member

Sounds like you had the misfortune of a crashed hard drive in your MBP. Doubt it had anything to do with setting it on the MB... might have been because you moved the machine. In all likelyhood it's just bad luck.

3. Trexznl macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'd have to agree with a case of really bad luck going on... I use my MacBook ontop of my other laptop frequently, and I've never experienced any problems... Like the above poster said; moving the laptop might have worsened the already departing hdd in some way.

4. 92jlee macrumors 6502

The reason it wont boot from the MB disk is because it isnt for the MBP lol. Could you get your hands on a Leopard retail disk? (the apple store have let me used theirs before) - boot into it and use disk utility and repair the HDD. Its happened to me before on my Mini.

if that doesn't work then the best thing to do is take out the drive and put another one in (I've done it loads of times) and see if it will boot from the disk.

J