Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I've noticed now on several occasions - when I rebooted or woke it up from sleep or even just from the screensaver, my early 2008 2.5 Ghz MBP's keyboard backlit brightness, for example, gets automatically set to the highest notch, even though I set it a couple of notches lower before I put the computer to sleep...

Also, just this morning, when I woke the laptop up, the screen was dimmed to the lowest notch pretty much, although I obviously didn't do anything to it beforehand!

What can I do to keep these settings the way they are??

There's no "lock" thing for brightness etc in the Settings...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Do you have the display and keyboard set to adjust to the ambient light? And as for the keyboard backlight you could try labtick, that will allow you full control over the backlight of the keyboard and you can set it so that OS X cannot automatically adjust the brightness level.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Here we go again, I just turned on my laptop, and the keyboard brightness was automatically set to the 4th bar from the left (before I turned the computer off I kept it on the 3rd or 4th from the RIGHT).....why??

What can be done about this?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Here we go again, I just turned on my laptop, and the keyboard brightness was automatically set to the 4th bar from the left (before I turned the computer off I kept it on the 3rd or 4th from the RIGHT).....why??

What can be done about this?

The keyboard and display have separate "adjust for ambient light" switches, did you remember to hit both?

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
The keyboard and display have separate "adjust for ambient light" switches, did you remember to hit both?

I don't see an ambient light option for Keyboard. The only option that I see for it is "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" and obviously I've got this one ticked, while I keep the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" (for Display) unticked.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Weird, just now the keyboard brightness all of a sudden dropped down to zero and I had to adjust it back to 4 bars from the right.

Is there really an option of "ambient light changes" FOR KEYBOARD brightness that I'm not aware of??

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Weird, just now the keyboard brightness all of a sudden dropped down to zero and I had to adjust it back to 4 bars from the right.

Is there really an option of "ambient light changes" FOR KEYBOARD brightness that I'm not aware of??

The 'illuminate keyboard when dark' option is what you're looking for. This uses sensors to see "how dark" it is and proportionately how "illuminated" the keyboard needs to be. Essentially the same as the display option. Un-tick this option and then manually turn the brightness on with the function keys. That's what I do.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
The 'illuminate keyboard when dark' option is what you're looking for. This uses sensors to see "how dark" it is and proportionately how "illuminated" the keyboard needs to be. Essentially the same as the display option. Un-tick this option and then manually turn the brightness on with the function keys. That's what I do.

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought if I un-ticked that option, the keyboard illumination wouldn't work. I will def. give it a try, thanks!

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008

Ok I tried it, but basically when you un-tick that option, as soon as you manually turn the brightness on with the function keys it will automatically get ticked again. How to prevent that?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ok I tried it, but basically when you un-tick that option, as soon as you manually turn the brightness on with the function keys it will automatically get ticked again. How to prevent that?

Have you tried labtick (which I linked to earlier in the tread), I use it and it seems like it will do exactly what you want. When I put my computer to sleep and then wake it up the brightness level of the keyboard is always what I set it at using labtick.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Have you tried labtick (which I linked to earlier in the tread), I use it and it seems like it will do exactly what you want. When I put my computer to sleep and then wake it up the brightness level of the keyboard is always what I set it at using labtick.

If nothing else works, I might as well end up with that..but I still wish to run as few "unnecessary" applications as possible...thanks for your help tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.