MBP Severe Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myheaditches, Mar 15, 2008.

1. myheaditches macrumors newbie

Currently I am experience severe problems with my MBP. While playing WoW for about a half hour in one zone, then switching to a new zone my FPS drops down to 1-15 from around 40-55. This problem persists with the game until I relaunch, sometimes until I reboot. Seemingly unrelated to the first problem, recently I've had it where the entire UI is barely responsive for almost everything, opening/closing windows, switching applications, and opening/closing menus all require 20-40 seconds to happen. This problem becomes progressively worse until I have to force shutdown my computer (hold power button), force restart (cmd-ctrl-power button) is ineffective.

My main problem is the rarity of these issues, they can't be reproduced at will. I sent in my computer once before and it came back only listing Class I repairs, no parts were listed as being replaced. The problems persisted and continued to get worse. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should handle this?

2. sjb macrumors regular

How new is the machine? What type/model/specs/etc?

Do you have all of the latest updates for OS X? Are you running Leopard or Tiger? I suppose you could try a reinstall of the OS. I know there is an option during the install to keep all of your existing data.

There have also been some posts on here recently about video drivers. Maybe search for one of those and see if there is any improvement.

3. myheaditches thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa MBP from about 8 months ago with the 256 MB 5600M GT video card running Leopard. I have all the updates installed except for the most recent keyboard firmware and airport ones.

I'll try an archive-install of Leopard on monday, I just assumed I had a hardware problem it seems and never thought about it being the OS.

4. sjb macrumors regular

I wouldn't suspect a hardware problem since a reboot or relaunching of the application appears to correct the issue (at least for the low FPS). I think an archive-install might be the ticket. Also, do you have anything running like iStat or any other applications that might be eating up cpu cycles?