MBP severely slow, Finder unstable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jan 4, 2012.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey folks,

I have the first gen i7 MBP 15" - the higher end model, I believe 2.66GHz dual core. Except for a higher res glossy display everything is stock. Lately I've been experiencing massive slowdowns, and Finder has become extremely unstable. Even booting up has become a 5-10 MINUTE affair which is not normal.

I tried moving a batch of 124 photos to a burn folder to burn onto a CD, and my system stopped dead. And I mean dead dead. The cursor turned to a beachball, but withno rotation. The cursor could move, but nothing was clickable.

I thought my hard disk was conking out, so I ran through disk permissions and disk repair. Both checked out fine. I went through my 5 minute bootup again, and again I had the same problem.

Finally I tried booting up, letting it rest at the login screen for 5 minutes, and logged in. I gave it a good 20 minutes of rest after it hit the desktop before doing anything, and I hit up Activity Monitor, and I reboot my computer, setting it to remember what was open at shutdown. The machine booted back up, and I let it rest again at login. Then I didn't touch it, and just watched Activity Monitor. As it was loading, Finder even found time to go "not responding." as the idle process went up to about 99.9ish, I tried copying the photos again. Again the thing froze, and I decided to call it a night, letting it beachball overnight. In the morning, it was still stuck there, some 8 hours later.

My machine came with SL, 10.6 though I can't remember the last decimal point in the build. I have always kept her up to date, and I installed Lion at launch. Again I always keep her updated. I didn't do a clean install of Lion back then, if that matters. I keep my machine quite well defragged so I know that's not it. However with what I use my machine, I don't use the HDD for massive transfers often, but I do a LOT of small transfers. Sometimes my machine can stay on for days on end completing the job.

Anyone can help?:(

2. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

I'm going to have to say the best resolution right now would be to perform a clean reinstall. Do you have a backup drive?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, backup everything and do a clean install. If that fails, Your suspicions about your HDD may well be correct.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Have Boot Camp running Win7 on the machine too, and I used it to burn the CD, copying the files from the mother partition. That worked well, so it gives me "hope" that my HDD is not in critical condition.

Now to figure out how to back all my rubbish up... Hmmm....

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've decided to give reinstalling a shot. I've got my laptop and my external, but I'm not sure if my Finder is up to the task of such heavy copying of files onto my HDD. Is there a way I could, say... Boot into something else, or even a sort of "safe mode," to do the copying? Does the Lion Recovery Partition have a utility for that?

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

A Time Machine reinstallation is possible, but the files that cause the MBP's finder to be unstable may be re-copied into the computer. Therefore, a clean reinstallation would be best.

I'd suggest SuperDuper, which clones your current computer's drive to a selected drive. It's free, and the link is below:
    http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

After installing SuperDuper, you just have to select the drive you want to be copied and the target drive, and it'll do all the work for you. When it finishes cloning, put in the CD that came with your computer, go to Disk Utility, erase your computer's disk and you're done. :)

8. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    If you want to be extra cautious, make two separate backups on two hard drives before wiping the original.

Sounds like the Harddrive may be having 'issues'...on the other hand, you could upgrade to a faster 7200 drive. They don't cost much these days. If it were me, I would err on the side of caution and just buy a new harddrive.

9. iforbes macrumors 6502

According to Apple, defragging when using OS X is unnecessary and can actually cause a decrease in performance - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375?viewlocale=en_US

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Try the clean install and only install apps that you really need, preferably one at a time so you can isolate a problem if it starts acting up again.

And try turning off your Mac at the end of the day; I have found that running a Mac 24/7 can create problems after a day or two without a restart.

As far as the mythical defragging ability of OS X goes... well, don't you believe it. Your drive can become seriously fragmented over time when running certain software. It shouldn't require defragging very often, but you should keep an eye on the level of fragmentation using a utility like iDefrag.

11. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Turns out my hard drive was going the way of the dodo and so I've put her to sleep. Thanks all for your help though!

But now I'm basking in speed heaven as my MBP is now equipped with a 600GB Intel 320 SSD:D