MBP Shell Help.. Need Opinios

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LaurenBrittany, Jun 7, 2014.

1. LaurenBrittany macrumors newbie

LaurenBrittany

Hi everyone! I recently bought a Mac Book Pro for my post secondary education, since my Toshiba broke. I am looking into a shell for it, to prevent scratches on the surface. I know most people say the case scratches the laptop aswell, but I would prefer not to go without a shell; the look of the Mac is beautiful, but I would rather protect it from every day use.

Sorry everyone, I know this question has been asked a million times - says my google search. But I just haven't found what I wanted yet!

I have done a lot of research into the cases. I have extensively looked at reviews for:
    Kuzy Rubberized Satin Hard Case Cover
    Speck Smartshell/SeeThru/SeeThru Satin cases
    Incase Hardshell Case
    Booq Viper Case
    Tech21 Impact Snap Case

All have tons of pros and cons.. I am looking for recomendations on the best case. I am looking for a case with good ventilation, doesn't scratch easily (or show scratches much), and causes the least amount of scratches. ... One that doesn't show many fingerprints would be a bonus.

I have also heard that the snaps/corners break easily on certain cases (within a short amoumt of time of buying it). I am hoping for a case with the longest lasting snaps, as I do not want to just replace the case in a couple months.

Thanks in advance!! :D

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I had bought a Speck for my MBP when I bought it 2 years ago. I no longer use it. Most of the "scratches" I get on my MBP can buff out pretty well with a damp cloth, they're more like scuffs.

I decided I didn't like how slippery the case made the computer. I now have a sleeve from Hex to protect the computer when I take it out of the house.

3. LaurenBrittany thread starter macrumors newbie

LaurenBrittany

Thanks for the reply hallux. I guess I don't NEED a shell as I am planning on getting a sleeve. I just hoped to protect my Macbook from scratches while in use.. My family is notorious for not being careful with things, and if I have my laptop out but closed, there is a possibility of someone setting something on top of it.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I guess you couldn't rely on them being gentle when setting something on it? If you can't trust them for that, don't leave it out.

Keep in mind, if you buy a sleeve designed specifically for your model, there may not be room for a hardshell case. I know my Hex sleeve wouldn't accommodate my MBP with the Speck case on it.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally have a Speck clear case on mine. It does what it is supposed to do, but the average lifespan is only 6 months. So figure you will need a warranty replacement on them due to failing clips.

It does protect from scratches well. But I am afraid that even a Speck or other snap-on case will not protect from damage from something heavy being placed on it.

My friend goes to a school with a 1:1 program and between the pressure of books in his backpack on the display even with the Speck case, it still imprinted a bright spot imprint of the Apple logo which is visible on all light backgrounds.

6. LaurenBrittany thread starter macrumors newbie

LaurenBrittany

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you decide what to get?

8. LaurenBrittany, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

LaurenBrittany thread starter macrumors newbie

LaurenBrittany

Not exactly haha. My example of family setting stuff on it was probably an extreme situation, but the fact of the matter is stuff happens - sometimes there's no choice but to leave it out. Sometimes accidental bumps happen. This is why I wanted a case.

BUT. You're answer in regards to clips lasting 6 months or so is the answer I needed - not exactly the timeline I wanted to hear, but a timeline none the less. If I have my laptop for 5+ years, I do not want to have to buy that many cases.

So at this point I am stuck, and will use my macbook naked until I decide what to use!