MBP shipped from Nashville?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mg84, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mg84 macrumors newbie

So I'm buying my first Apple product, a BTO MBP 13 2.6/16/256. And, after my what feels like excruciatingly painful long wait, my MBP has been shipped. Only thing is that it's being shipped from Nashville. I've never seen anyone say their stuff from shipped from Nashville... only China. Even a buddy at work, who has been trying to get me to buy a MBP for years, has said this was odd because everyone he has ordered from Apple was shipped from China. Is this completely out of the norm?

Should I check the battery cycles and send it back if it has more than 1 cycle? ;) (I got a kick out of that battery cycle thread)

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I believe Quanta Computer (the assembler that makes Apple and many other home PC brands) has a warehouse in Nashville. Almost anything I order from Dell ships from there.

3. supaman macrumors member

Dell is in Nashville.

OP any chance you ordered one that would for some reason be shipped from the apple store in Nashville?

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Dell is near Austin, TX. My cousin used to work for them at corporate. Given that Quanta assembles for both (and HP, and Lenovo, and you name it) it stands to reason that they would have a Midwest shipping center that they use for multiple brands.

Speculation on my part, but it stands to reason.

5. mg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

First time I've ever purchased anything Apple... so I have no idea what would make it come from Nashville verses China.

I BTO my rMBP13 (2.6/16/256) from the Apple webpage.

I asked out of curiosity since it seems like everyone gets theirs from China... I'm perfectly ok getting one Made in the USA if in fact it actually was Made in the USA. Just leads me to wonder if mine was actually BTO if they aren't manufactured in Nashville... and if they aren't manufactured in Nashville and I was just sent one that was at an Apple Store... then why did I have to wait ~2.5 weeks to have it shipped.

I suppose it's a cyclic argument that doesn't mean "a hill of beans" since I'll have it tomorrow and doesn't really matter.

... And as the last poster said Dell is in Austin, TX... or more specifically Round Rock, TX (just north of Austin).

6. Ai-apple macrumors regular

You can check the serial number on the invoice. The first few letters indicate where it was made. New batch of BTO units are arriving this week to the US. I ordered BTO on Nov. 29th and it happened to be in the November BTO batch coming to the US this week. So I am picking up mine at Apple Store :apple: tomorrow Dec. 5th.

7. mg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

C0... Assuming China?

8. supaman macrumors member

Corporate may be in Austin, but they also have operations in Nashville.

And OP, not sure but just thought it could be a possibility they shipped from a store. I dont know for sure how apple works, as I purchased my MBP from the store in Nashville, but I know some retail stores ship from store locations when they have no stock in a warehouse.

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Recently received my refurbished iPad3 from Apple warehouse in Nashville, so they have some type of distribution center there.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Maybe that's where they do refurbs? Or their repair center as well? I know they do ship some systems for repairs somewhere when they can't do it in store.

11. mg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

If that's the case... It's a refurb/repair facility. Then going back to my original question... then why would my NEW BTO MBP be shipped from a refurb/repair facility?

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

No way you're getting a repair/refurb if you bought a new computer. It's possible that a BTO configuration got shipped to one of the Apple Stores but the customer didn't pick it up, so it's just getting re-routed to you. That seems like the most plausible explanation to me, anyway.