MBP shipping from Shanghai?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XFactorer, Jun 6, 2008.

1. XFactorer macrumors regular

I'm getting a replacement MBP from Apple. It's the current 2.4GHz, 15.4'' blah blah blah with the hard drive upgraded to 250 GBs and a glossy screen. You would think Apple is gonna save itself a few bucks and find one in the US to ship to me in Oregon, right? So, apparently, they're not. They're shipping the MBP to me from Shanghai, China. And the model number is Z0EY. I've seen the MAxxxx model numbers, but not "Z0EY". Anyone got any insight?

2. mwxiao macrumors regular

Their manufacturing sites are in China. Typically Shanghai or Shenzhen. Don't you worry about saving money for Apple. They have their own system.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

its a build to order, so has to be custom made in a factory (its custom made to reduce the amount of money apple has tied up in stock sitting around that may not be able to be sold)
    factory in china - ships from there

my model number is A### so i guess there are different models...

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

It's completely normal. Z0EY is the product number, just like mine was a Z0EZ with the upgraded HDD. The model number is a different thing.

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

My MacBook Pro was also built in Shanghai but its Model Identifier is, "MBPro3,1." It was built in late January 2008. I found this Model Identifier in the System Profiler. Is there someplace else to look?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

ditto on BTO computers being made in China. They dont make MBPs in the US.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

mine came from china also back @ the end of march.

low level 15" penryn, ordered via ADC discount. Had it in 5 days, including a weekend, via fedex.

nothing changed config-wise, all standard components.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Macbook Pro is manufactured by Foxconn in Shanghai.

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I paid the $18 for 2-3 day shipping and had it in my hands on the third day after I ordered.

Not bad considering it came from Shanghai. I was also impressed that it was well packaged. Double boxes with plenty of space around the inner box for protection.