MBP - Shock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, Nov 3, 2008.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Just curious if anyone has been getting shocked by their MBP. Obviously I am not using one of the new ones. Just curious what Apple is going to do when I take this in cause it's hurting now, getting worse.

2. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I figured it was a common problem. When I was getting the new iphone the Apple rep told me to bring it in. I just get nervous about bringing my PC in to get repaired. Don't know if it will be the same when I get it back. :p

Thanks for the link.

3. BaptistGeek macrumors newbie

I've been having the same issue with mine. I posted an explanation with solutions on the above mentioned thread. By the way, what did the Apple rep tell you?

4. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I didn't check out your solutions but the shocking got worse. It was shocking me through clothes so I decided to take the MBP into Apple tonight. The "genius" said that there are several reports on this problem but Apple doesnt know the resolution. So I asked the "genius" if I get my laptop back and it still shocks me what is the plan, he didn't know. So I told him we shall see if the depot can resolve the problem.

So far, I am already missing my baby.

5. simultech macrumors newbie

I may be misinterpretting, but if its just a little shock, its been an issue since the early powerbooks.

The trick to get rid of it is to use the long power lead, which has a ground plug (at least in Australia, unsure about the states), rather than the very short plug. Its a pain carrying around the extra length of cable, but no zappy is a lot better.

6. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

This is the first time I have felt it with my MBP, just started. And I have tried it with both from the brick and using the long cord. Also, its going through a UPS Power conditioner.

But to feel it through long sleeves is kind of bothersome. And it got old having to scratch my arms every time I got shocked. Anyhow, if any updates I will keep this thread updated, atleast with what apple has to say.

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

8. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Like I said, Apple knows it exists but doesn't know the resolution. You can try taking it to the Apple store and seeing what they say also.

What is really boils down to is, if the problem doesn't get resolved how will they handle it.

9. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Well, I took the laptop into the Apple Store to get it repaired and was told they need to send it off. I checked the status today and it says "Shipment to repair center pending (09-Nov-2008)."

How long does it usually take for Apple to send laptops to the repair depot?