Mbp Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by K-pop, Sep 23, 2010.

1. K-pop macrumors newbie

I was wondering should i get the macbook pro 15ich 2010 or wait for the 2011.

Question:
    How long is a MBP 15ich going last me?
    Is it Worth getting?
    Would the MBP help me on my school work better then a PC?

Use:
    Video editing
    Photoshop/GFX
    Abit of gaming
    School work
    Normal website usage
    youtube :)
    facebook/twitter/thumblr ect...

Thank you :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It would help if you define how you expect to use it.

MBPs can last several years, but that's dependent on your needs.

3. K-pop thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry just updated a list what i use it for :)

4. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

K-pop, you mentioned gaming. Do you plan to do heavy gaming? I would actually recommend getting a PC if that is the case. Most games are made for Windows and their OSX counterparts aren't always the best ports. From what you listed, a PC would be able to handle all those things and give you much more power at the price for a 15" MacBook Pro.

Probably the ideal situation would be the PC and an iPad, in my opinion.

5. K-pop thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the tips but i am sick of pc been using for over 10years the only game i am going play is SC2 and i know it work for mac :)

6. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

If you're looking to collect viruses and malware, then a PC really would be ideal. Windows definitely has that market cornered. Other than that I can't think of anything a PC would be ideal for.

However, Steam is available for the Mac and they have quite a few games available. Also available for Mac are Parallels and Fusion. Boot Camp is included which would let you install Windows so that even on a Mac you can run your favorite viru... I mean games.;)

7. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

True, PCs are susceptible to viruses and malware, however, if one is careful how they use the internet then the risk on those issues can be reduced. In reference to what PCs would be ideal for - its to play games. Ported Mac games seem to have a history of not performing well. You mentioned Steam for Mac. Unfortunately the rate of how Steam is releasing their mac games is very underwhelming. There isn't much of a selection when it comes to non-casual games. Perhaps that might change in the future but so far, a lot of the mac games being released are just games like Half Life, Team Fortress, and Portal with a few others. The library for PC games is much more expansive.

Unless you purchase the higher end Macs, you are also limiting yourself as to the graphical capacities of how well the game runs. An example of this is Starcraft 2. Apple released some updates on how well the graphics are handled but in my opinion and from my experience, the Windows version of Starcraft 2 seems to run better on the same hardware that I used to play it on the OSX side. In addition, if one is really looking for a good extensive gaming experience, PCs can offer higher processing/video speeds at a lower price than its Mac counterparts.

With the clarification I got from K-pop though, it sounds like the mac will be used for playing Starcraft 2. If K-pop is not particular as far as the speeds and graphical capabilities, than that shouldn't be a problem - especially with the 15" MBP.

I wouldn't recommend using Parallels or Fusion to game on a mac unless the user wants to see major graphical performance issues.

8. K-pop thread starter macrumors newbie

@ KadMac there alot of good tips there but gaming for me is not my number 1 thing because i already got a custom built PC for that.

I was getting the MBP for school work, video editing and graphic designing so therefore i dont really mind if i dont play game on the MBP because i want to use it for my education and maybe for business in the future.

9. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I'd wait until 2011, there's something funky with the Nvidia Drivers in OS X so you don't get nearly the performance you should with the current Macbook Pros. Maybe ATI cards will be used in the next batch.

Of course if you don't play that many games this might not be a such big deal for you.

10. K-pop thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess going get the 2010 mbp because i dont think the 2011 going be much different and is it possible to like upgrade when the 2011 mbp come out like i trade in my 2010?

11. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

About 4 years before things start going south. Mine has served me faithfully these past 4+ years and now its time to get a new one lol

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

If I were you, I'd get a 13" MBP and an external monitor.

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Just to know, why is that? Is it technological obsolescence or is it physically worn out in some way (and if it's the case, in which way?) ?

14. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

On my particular machine, the graphics card is kinda dying. Brought it into the Apple Store and had a genius take a look at it, and confirmed it. It works fine for now but sometimes the screen would just freeze while everything else is still working and the only way to get it back is to hard reset it.

That said however, I have seen working 5+ year iBooks back when the MacBook was just released.