MBP - Should I get 2.8?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uscpsycho, Feb 11, 2010.

1. uscpsycho macrumors newbie

I'm switching from Windows to Mac. I break Windows. No matter how much RAM or how fast the processor, I break Windows.

This is because I am a browser abuser. I'll start with one browser and when I have enough windows/tabs open to stress it, then I'll start a new browser and repeat. In a couple of weeks I'll have three (or more) browsers running with more than 100 tabs.

Is OSX going to handle this browser abuse better than Windows? I will most likely upgrade the RAM to 8GB, but I'm wondering if the 2.8 with double the cache will be more stable than 2.53 or 2.66?

If it makes any difference, at all times I will also be running Parallels mostly for Outlook (with a huge PST file).

TIA

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe you should stop abusing browsers. I doubt you really use all of those +300 tabs so it would be easier to just close the tab when you don't need it.

And yes, Parallels does affect it as it uses quite a lot of RAM

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Depends on how much of an issue the difference in money is for you. I wouldn't expect you to notice the 2.8 performance increase, but if it's worth it to you, then go for it.

An SSD will have a much much bigger impact...

I would guess that either way you will run into trouble having 100 tabs in Safari on OS X open at the same time...

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

2.8Ghz Macbook Pro

I recently purchased a 2.8Ghz version, the extra cache is one factor to consider, 3MB vs 6MB. The extra video memory which may help with things like texture detail is also a plus - 256MB vs 512MB.

For me it was worth the extra speed and cache coupled with the improved graphics memory but each to their own.

I now have a Intel X-25m SSD in the optical bay along with the stock 500GB hard drive. It rocks.

5. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

learn to browse the web properly [​IMG] thats my 2 cents

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Is this a good time for this? http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

I agree that 300 tabs is kinda silly, but I understand the need.

I have Chrome, Safari, FF, Sunrise and Camino all open right now. Each has their own purpose -- for example, right now Im using FF for a photo/art search for a single client, and thats all its being used for. No confusion as to which window with what tabs is doing what.

Chrome has the most tabs/windows -- this window has 23 tabs, with a few other windows that have 5 or so.
    Safari has 1 window, 6 tabs.
    FF only has 1 window, 11 tabs
    Camino only has 1 window, 3 tabs, all with hulu TV shows in them
    Sunrise is empty at the moment.

So 50 or so tabs?

Switching back and forth between browsers takes seconds, theres no slowdown. I usually have to wait for my crappy DSL. =(

You should look into some tab browsing helpers, like Mashboard. One of the coolest things, but a touch slow, is Safari's "top sites" -- 24 "tabs" all by itself. Chrome is trying something similar, but it doesnt work as well. I was a long time Safari user, but have been playing with Chrome for the last month or so -- and I like the speed -- but the rest is "meh"

I will probably switch back to Safari pretty soon...

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Tia,

Sounds like all you need to do is cut down the browser tabs, Mac or now.

Habitus :apple:

8. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I doubt the processor upgrade would make much of a difference, get an ssd instead with the cash

9. schreck macrumors regular

TIA = thanks in advance

10. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I Loled :D

(but also didn't know this so both funny AND educational)